Author Topic: GRABBING CLOTHES  (Read 1972 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: GRABBING CLOTHES
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »
I'm sure you can explain it just as well!  :005:
Over to you, I'm off two see two lovely chocolate worker girls  in harrogate this morning so I'm a bit pushed for time.
Go on Cazza you can do it!

Ok Mark - but you can correct me if I get anything wrong  :D

Right here goes - you'll need some small treats (or their food, I quite often make them work for their breakfast so this is what I use in the morming their kibble) and a clicker

To charge the clicker
have the dog sat in front of you - say nothing, when the dog looks up at you Click (as the dog looks up at your face) and treat
I think it's about 10 - 15 times

Right I would leave it at that for the first session and then have a play with the dog - then later on in the day do the same again  :D
The dog is learning that a click is good and gets a treat, great positive training  ;)
Then progress to saying the dogs name as soon as they look up at you click and treat  :D

(Once the dog has learnt the above you can move on to teach other things like sit / stay / down and recall - once you have worked on those basically you can go on to teach tricks and other things.)

If you are teaching a new behaviour as in 'sit' say - start with lurring the dog (treat in hand and hold it just infront of the dogs nose, lift the hand slowly back above their head - the nose should follow the treat and gravity will put the dog into a sit - click and give the treat. Should the dog go up on to hind legs then you are holding the treat too high)
The dog will start to sit and once doing this you can then start adding a cue word 'sit'

Don't do too much and go too fast - Day one I would just charge the clicker, day two start with charging the clicker and teach sit (do this 2 or 3 times a day if you can it only takes 5 minutes - commercial break training is a good one (as in when watching a TV programme and the adverts come on take the oppertunity to do a bit of training  :D ))

Hope that helps and I'm sure Mark will pop by later and check on my reply  :005: and will correct me

EDITED TO ADD - this has been written from memory as my book has been lent out to someone