Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

Genetics & colours

<< < (3/6) > >>

*Jay*:
I agree Shell. I'm fascinated by it - when we got Brook you should have seen the look on my face when we found out his dad was black ::) I just had no clue ;D I'm thinking about having a litter from the new addition so we are looking about 2-3 years down the line but I'm going to start the research now. Does anyone recommend any really informative books on the subject? I already have "The Book of The bitch", "Dog Breeding-The theory and the Practice" and "The Whelping and Rearing of Puppies-The complete Guide".                    

Jane S:
You seem to have a good supply of reference books already Gill :) If I had to recommend another on breeding it would be "Canine Reproduction" by Phyllis Holst which is pretty comprehensive, but if you have the Book Of The Bitch, that covers the essentials anyway. Apart from the "mechanics" of breeding, there's lots to learn about Cockers generally - history, pedigrees, genetic defects etc. There's not one book that covers all these things in depth - most people learn as they go along, collecting books, pedigrees, club year books etc. It's a good idea to join the Cocker Club and also the Cocker Club of Scotland - you need a proposer & seconder for the Cocker Club but that need not be a problem as there are quite a few Cocker Club members here who could help :)                    

Michele:

--- Quote from: Jane S on November 06, 2002, 04:45:20 PM ---You seem to have a good supply of reference books already Gill :) If I had to recommend another on breeding it would be "Canine Reproduction" by Phyllis Holst which is pretty comprehensive, but if you have the Book Of The Bitch, that covers the essentials anyway. Apart from the "mechanics" of breeding, there's lots to learn about Cockers generally - history, pedigrees, genetic defects etc. There's not one book that covers all these things in depth - most people learn as they go along, collecting books, pedigrees, club year books etc. It's a good idea to join the Cocker Club and also the Cocker Club of Scotland - you need a proposer & seconder for the Cocker Club but that need not be a problem as there are quite a few Cocker Club members here who could help :)

--- End quote ---

The Book of The Bitch is my Bible :D
I'm a member of the Cocker Club if you need proposing or seconding Gill, happy to help :)                    

*Jay*:
I printed out my application form for the Cocker Club of Scotland a few months ago but just haven't got round to sending it in yet...tut tut ::) I went onto the website of the Cocker Club and noticed that I needed two people to propose me but I don't know anybody who could help so my wee heart just sank like the titanic :'( Would they accept proposals from people who haven't met me? I have a few books on Cockers(admittedly some I haven't begun to read yet) "Cocker Spaniels Today" appears to look like the most comprehensive, the others are just like a guide to owning a cocker etc. But again, if anyone has a particular favourite, spill the beans :)                    

Jane S:
Hi Gill

You've already got one volunteer to propose you in Michele -I'm quite happy to be the other one if you like, just let us know. Basically the system exists to prevent known "undesirables" like puppy farmers from joining, so I think you'll be ok ;D

If you really want an in-depth book on Cockers, get Peggy Grayson's "History of The Cocker Spaniel" - it's packed full of information & photos from the early days up until fairly recently. It's not that widely available but you should be able to order it from Amazon or other book suppliers. The Joyce Caddy book is probably the best general Cocker book available, although I like Jennifer Lloyd Carey's too (I think it's just called Cocker Spaniels)                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version