Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

RageSyndrome and liver/gold cocker

<< < (3/3)

Jane S:
Hi Lisa

It's not always easy to spot the dodgy breeders - many have indeed been churning out puppies for years but that does not make them reputable. That does not mean your puppy came from a bad breeder - did you see Mum of the litter & other relatives (grandma, aunts etc)? Is your pup KC registered & is the breeder a member of a well-known breed club like The Cocker Spaniel Club (such clubs have Codes of Ethics which breeders should abide by) Did you get the feeling that the breeder would always be happy to help you with advice if you need it? Did the breeder ask you plenty of questions to make sure you could offer a good home? If the answer is yes to those questions, then you have probably bought a pup from a good breeder & should have no need to worry about your pup :)                    

godley:
thanks

i did get her pedigree, and they did say they were only a call away, the litter has been registered, but i haven,t transfered this as she is a pet and therefore felt no need

when we went, we saw mum and dad, which i have now been told that that was a bad sign, not sure, the dogs where friendly and well cared for.
within the pedigree there were several champions, but i suppose that doesn,t make much difference
i am just worried about the rage thing                    

Pammy:
Lisa

I have replied on another thread about the rage syndrome.

My sugesstion now I know a little more is to get your puppy to training classes. The chances of rage are minimal. But if the parents were not the friendliest of dogs then that is liekly to pass to your puppy. Training from a young age will help temper those tendencies and with consistent training from you you should be OK but start young and prevent any problems rather than look for a cure in the future when the damage may be done.

I'm not trying to scare you by the way - just help you develop your puppy from the off when it is easier.##hth                    

*Jay*:
Hi Lisa, I would still transfer ownership even if she is only going to be a pet because she will remain the "property"(don't like to use that word but couldn't think of another) of the breeder otherwise.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version