Off Topic > Photography

Tips For Photographing Dogs - Action Shots

<< < (2/4) > >>

supergirl:
Many thanks - my action shots are appalling and something that I really need help with.

Nicola:

--- Quote from: luckypenny on September 24, 2009, 03:31:15 PM ---Fantastic advice again - are you a professional Nicola?

--- End quote ---

No I'm not a professional photographer, I'd like to maybe do it part time but never seem to get round to getting a website set up. I've been into photography for years though and have done a few courses, I used to take a much wider variety of photos but these days unless I'm travelling it's pretty much just dogs :005:

Harveypops:
Nicola, this is fab advice.  :D

Do you have your camera on auto or manual focus when taking action shot. I wouldn't even attempt or know how to attempt to do it manually.  ph34r Should I be?

Also, what do you mean and how do you manually set the focus point onto the face. I always end up with a lot of beautifully focused pictures of blades of grass with a blurry ginger object in the background  >:(

Nicola:

--- Quote from: Harveypops on September 24, 2009, 09:29:46 PM ---Nicola, this is fab advice.  :D

Do you have your camera on auto or manual focus when taking action shot. I wouldn't even attempt or know how to attempt to do it manually.  ph34r Should I be?

Also, what do you mean and how do you manually set the focus point onto the face. I always end up with a lot of beautifully focused pictures of blades of grass with a blurry ginger object in the background  >:(

--- End quote ---

I always use auto focus for action shots, manual focussing is tricky at the best of times. Do you mean manual or auto mode? I don't go fully manual when taking action shots as it's too time consuming, I usually put the camera on shutter priority and set that depending on the lighting conditions and let the camera choose the aperture. I don't use sports mode often but sometimes it's handy, like on meet ups where there are lots of dogs charging around and no time to set up individual shots. As to whether you 'should' do it it really depends how well you want to learn to use the camera and the kind of results you want to get. For general snapping for most people the preset modes are fine.

You should read the camera manual though ;) :005:  I'm not familiar with your camera so I don't know if the buttons are exactly the same but the little marks which flash up red in the viewfinder when you focus on something are the focussing points. On my camera the button to manually select them has a rectangle above it with 4 dashes in a cross shape. Press that and look through the viewfinder, all the focussing points should be red, on my camera you then use the wheel to select whichever one you want, as you turn the wheel it'll select each point in turn and when the one you want is red you select it by half pressing the shutter and then you will only get focus on that point. You have to remember to adjust it again afterwards though or put it back to auto where the camera will choose for you.

JennyBee:

--- Quote from: Nicola on September 24, 2009, 10:22:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: Harveypops on September 24, 2009, 09:29:46 PM ---Nicola, this is fab advice.  :D

Do you have your camera on auto or manual focus when taking action shot. I wouldn't even attempt or know how to attempt to do it manually.  ph34r Should I be?

Also, what do you mean and how do you manually set the focus point onto the face. I always end up with a lot of beautifully focused pictures of blades of grass with a blurry ginger object in the background  >:(

--- End quote ---

You should read the camera manual though ;) :005:  I'm not familiar with your camera so I don't know if the buttons are exactly the same but the little marks which flash up red in the viewfinder when you focus on something are the focussing points. On my camera the button to manually select them has a rectangle above it with 4 dashes in a cross shape. Press that and look through the viewfinder, all the focussing points should be red, on my camera you then use the wheel to select whichever one you want, as you turn the wheel it'll select each point in turn and when the one you want is red you select it by half pressing the shutter and then you will only get focus on that point. You have to remember to adjust it again afterwards though or put it back to auto where the camera will choose for you.

--- End quote ---

Christina I found how to do this the other day on the 1000D - it's the same button (top right) you would use to zoom in on photos in the playback mode and then as Nicola says, use the wheel to change them :D. You cannot do it in auto mode though. I've bought a book that was written especially for our camera - from Amazon I think - and it is really good for going through the basics and what all the functions on the 1000D are. Still sooo complicated though ph34r

Once again thanks for this thread Nicola, I take it we are all now going to flood the photo boards with our attempts at action shots and portraits :005:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version