Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

Hocks opinions/advice please. ;0)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Helen:
Made sticky as requested  ;)

spanielcrazy:

--- Quote from: SuperCat on January 16, 2010, 10:50:17 AM ---I have a quick question. If you don't mind...

The hair in between Tally's back legs is really long. Is this preferred?

--- End quote ---

Let it grow  ;) You can see from Tallys pic that it is pretty long  :blink:

--- Quote from: 5scompany on January 16, 2010, 09:21:33 AM --- I am scarred to take to much off Tally I think as I'm worried how long it will take to grow back as it's taken nearly 2 years to get this far and it is way more important that he looks right. 
--- End quote ---

I know, I had a sparse coated bitch and it took me a long time to be comfortable taking hair off her. :005: But you are only taking off an inch or so and believe me, even on thin coated dogs that stuff on the back of the hock grows just fine!  ::) :005:

Everyone has their own methods so bear in mind this is just my opinion and meant to be a guideline  :shades:

6thSense:
Firstly Tally is extremely flattered to have his bum as a sticky on the grooming board.   ph34r :shades: :005:

I have always called and been taught to call the bit that SuperCat is referring to as the curtains, which refer to the shape and as such cover his dignity.  :shades: :005: I was always taught to cut them like this, but have never been formally taught how to trim for show and have had to take advice from here and there and a bit of trial and error. Both Tally and I have learnt the craft of dog showing together and are throughly enjoying it, but we still have lots to learn. I am a definite believer that you never stop learning anyway. Thanks so much for the advice you have offered it is so very helpful and your right his hocks do grow well, so perhaps I will just bite the bullet and go for it.  ;) It just amazes me how much trouble I have doing Tallys grooming and how much I stress over it, when the rest of my gang I have no problems with.  ::)

SuperCat:
Oh wow thanks Livercake!! Ironically I'm making one of those later!!

This is a great post. Going to try some of it a bit later.

Sarah, I always called that bit his 'bum fringe' But I didn't want say on here!! I didn't know it was called the 'curtains'! I shall refer to it as that henceforth!

Thanks again. I've struggled with the part the most I think. Also Sarah you trim his feet fantastically (I think) might have to take some foot trimming tips from you!

6thSense:

--- Quote from: SuperCat on January 16, 2010, 04:40:13 PM ---Oh wow thanks Livercake!! Ironically I'm making one of those later!!

This is a great post. Going to try some of it a bit later.

Sarah, I always called that bit his 'bum fringe' But I didn't want say on here!! I didn't know it was called the 'curtains'! I shall refer to it as that henceforth!

Thanks again. I've struggled with the part the most I think. Also Sarah you trim his feet fantastically (I think) might have to take some foot trimming tips from you!

--- End quote ---

Oh god don't take tips on feet from me please.  :shades: :005: They look different each time I do them.  ;) Poor Tally he has to put up with so much.  ;) :005:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version