Author Topic: What will stop her crying?  (Read 878 times)

Offline shezza

What will stop her crying?
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:48:24 PM »
Hi We have had our new little girl Lulu (8weeks old) at home for a week now but she will just not stay in her play pen without crying so much, in the end we just have to take her out again because it is hurtfull to hear her cry.
We had Ziggy our last Cocker for thirteen years and cannot remember having this much trouble as a pup.
We were just wondering if we are overlooking something. Someone said it may be a good idea to bath her so the smell of her mum goes away anyone heard of this?

Offline Nelly

Re: What will stop her crying?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »
Hi there
My nell was a little crier when left. She just wasnt very brave (and still isnt). She spent an awful lot of time being carried around in a little blanket, or sat on our knees!!! Little thing, your little one sounds similar. Nell is now 9 months and still likes to be able to see you, but will happily potter around independently. Dont worry, she is only a tiny baby and probably very unsure and a little lonely without her brothers and sisters.
xxx

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:01:42 PM »
To the OP, yes it's quite a culture shock returning back to puppyhood. Karma or Top Barks will have some excellent advice about training in play pens, plus many more who will have used pens with their pups. I'm sorry I've not used a pen so cannot offer any useful advice.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:03:35 AM »
In regards to bathing her, I was having trouble with Harvey crying at night. The ever helpful COLers ( :angel:) did suggest this as part of helping him settle. I washed the bedding he had been using and bathed him and that night he was suddenly so much better. I also put the crate closer to my bed so he could see and smell me. I'm sure washing the bedding and him to get rid of mum and siblings smell had a good part to play in it. I was told they can be looking for thier litter and mum and get distressed because they can't see them but can smell them. I would say its definately worth a shot, hope it gets easier for you x

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:15:26 AM »
Yep, I would wash pup and bedding - I think it helped Freddie settle in. Mind you he had to be washed because he poo'ed in his crate and got covered in it after about 3 nights! Good luck, others will have more advice - I know practically nothing as Freddie is our first dog and is only nearly 9 months old now.
Paula & Freddie x

Offline mooching

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:44:10 AM »
Could I just ask when/on what occasions and for how long you are putting her in the puppy play pen?

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »

The key is introducing the pen (as a positive thing) gradually....
It can be very hard for a puppy to understand that they need to spend time apart from us when they can hear we are there... TBH Honey never tolerated it as a pup - she was fine left alone or at night, but while we were there, she wanted to be with us.  That was compatible with our lives at the time, so we didn't push it, and she will now relax in another room through her own choice.

However I know that's not practical for all people.  You need to introduce the pen carefully - pop her in it and scatter treats around, then let her out.  Repeat regularly.  She should soon opt to go in of her own accord... then praise her and again scatter treats.
You can build up to shutting her in it, with treats, toys etc, and popping back every 30 seconds to add more treats.  You can then leave a longer gap between return visits.... though occassionally come straight back, or she'll quickly realise it's just getting longer and longer between seeing you!!!

If she does start to cry, try not to return to her until there is a break in her crying, otherwise she will learn that crying gets you back...  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
With regards the bedding, Tali just slept on my bed for a few nights when he first arrived, not what is recommended I know, but he was settled and had no scent or bedding in my bed from his breeding home. He also has slept right through from the age of 9 weeks with no barking or whining, which makes up for the biting and refusing to poo outside! >:D

Old ways suggested you should have a toy or blanket with mother and siblings scent on. That seems to have changed and although I didn't consciously do it, it seemed to work for me too.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline shezza

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
Could I just ask when/on what occasions and for how long you are putting her in the puppy play pen?
   About 45 mins just when we nip out, But we would like her in there over night thats when the crying really starts.

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »
Our oldest Blodwen wouldn't settle unless we stayed with her for about 20 mins after putting her to bed in her closed crate - she would bark, cry and bark unless we did the 20 minute wind down with her, settling her in - basically our 'tucking her in and reading her a bedtime story' time. Our little one Llew however would settle immediately - he's been our little dream pup   :luv:

The crate training (especially at night) did wonders for their housetraining and training them to hold on though so I would persevere is possible, I think it's just patience that is important as well as putting the pup to bed earlier than you would like to go to bed so that your tiredness doesn't influence your patience levels!  :luv:

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline mooching

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »
shezza

I wonder if she would be happier in a crate than the pen at night - she might feel safer/more secure.

Offline joanna84

• Daisy
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
You could try giving her an old fleece/jumper of yours for comfort and your smell at night times....try not to return (although very hard) or it will be harder to break...  She is still so little but you do want her to be independant so she does not develop seperation anxiety  :016:  Shame, good luck.