Author Topic: Red cockers  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Clare B

Red cockers
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »
I had a beautiful red cocker as a child, I don't see any about here in Sydney , lots of golds but not the red ( like a red setter), are they rare now ? Or does spaying/neutering lighten their coat ( most dogs around here have had the op)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Red cockers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »
Red is more unusual than gold, although I think it's more common in working Cockers than show types. I have one of each and although Rodaidh is quite a dark reddish-gold there's no mistaking the difference in the colours when you see them next to each other. Caoimhe is dark red all over other than a bit of blonde trim around her belly and knickers on her back legs whereas Ro has loads of shades in his coat from red on his back through to pale silvery gold. Neither of them are neutered though, neutering does often lighten the coat, there was a thread about this recently http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=94384.0

Dark gold

Red - it's a crap photo as I was throwing snowballs at her and holding the camera with one hand but you can see how dark she is

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Amanda463

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
Hi Clare,
I have 2 Reds, Dizney who is almost 16 and Minney who is 5.
Minney is quite a bit lighter than Dizney was when she was young.
I will try and post some pictures to show you x
Blessed to be Dizney,Minney & Doogle's mum.

Offline Amanda463

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »
Unable to download pics at this moment

Offline Sherlock

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
I think Sherlock's probably more red than gold, although his breeder called him gold. He was the darkest boy in his litter (all gold pups).

I get asked at least once a day if he's an Irish setter. Then I get disbelieving looks when I say he's a cocker spaniel. Round here most people have never heard of working cockers, though.

We met a real Irish setter in the park last night - they did look very similar, and they played in exactly the same way (ie. completely mad!) Obviously Sherlock was only about one third of the setter's size though, so I do wonder how everyone can think he's a setter! :D

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
You just reminded me about people not knowing about working cockers.

When in Yorkshire I got stopped by a Scottish couple asking sheepishly "what Charlie was?", so I said cocker spaniel, sheepishly they asked "is he a working spaniel"...He's a show spaniel, which they'd never heard of!

Sherlock is one of the best looking red setters I've ever seen...lol only joking :).
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
Chester was advertised as a golden cocker but he does seem red on the top and golden on the bottom . Here is a pic:

:005:

Offline Amanda463

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
I have a customer who has 3 working cockers, they are nuts! ... such a joy to watch them tumbling round the garden.
Would somebody tell me how I can put pics on here please? x

Offline jak3

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:40 PM »
I get asked the same with Alfie it amazes me how people can think he is a red setter! but when we say hes a working cocker people look amazed and say hes a very unusual colour.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »
I get asked the same with Alfie it amazes me how people can think he is a red setter! but when we say hes a working cocker people look amazed and say hes a very unusual colour.

I met a man on holiday who was telling me all about his working cocker - and he had informed me that chocolate working spaniels are REALLY rare, they also said Charlie was a lovely cavalier king charles...
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Sherlock

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »
You just reminded me about people not knowing about working cockers.

When in Yorkshire I got stopped by a Scottish couple asking sheepishly "what Charlie was?", so I said cocker spaniel, sheepishly they asked "is he a working spaniel"...He's a show spaniel, which they'd never heard of!

Sherlock is one of the best looking red setters I've ever seen...lol only joking :).

Haha, how funny! I'm in Brighton and rarely see other working cockers, but when we went on holiday to Yorkshire we saw them everywhere, it was brilliant!

I do get a bit sick of people thinking I don't know what breed my own dog is. And then having to explain that he's a working cocker, but, um... doesn't work!  :005:

Offline jak3

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
I have a customer who has 3 working cockers, they are nuts! ... such a joy to watch them tumbling round the garden.

Do you use photobucket, If you upload photos to photobucket then just copy the img code and paste into here!

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »

Hi Amanda, you'll need to sign up and upload your photo to a site like www.Photobucket.com:

Then find the IMG Code:

Then paste into your message:

Offline Amanda463

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
I'm not sure that chocolate working cockers are all that rare. My aunt in Chorley breeds them, she's had about 5 litters of mostly chocolate workers .
The customer I have with 3 workers has 1 chocolate.  :blink:

Thanks very much Holly for your help, I will check out Photobucket x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 05:48:17 PM »
I'm not sure that chocolate working cockers are all that rare. My aunt in Chorley breeds them, she's had about 5 litters of mostly chocolate workers .
The customer I have with 3 workers has 1 chocolate.  :blink:

Thanks very much Holly for your help, I will check out Photobucket x

Nope Liver workers are the most common colour now - that's because Working cockers are being bred so much now for the pet market.
Red used to be rare but I can guarantee that it will go the same way as Liver in the future.
helen & jarvis x