Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

nail clipping

(1/5) > >>

Mike:
My pup is five and a half months now and her nails need clipping. She scratched me last week on the neck and left painful claw marks (which have now cleared). Until then, I hadnt realised her claws were quite so sharp.

The nails are black, which makes me wary of attempting it myself due to being unable to see the kwik (however it is spelt!) ... but i want to give it a try, if I can. Any tips on how I go about it/what to use, from those of you who do this yourself?                    

Jane S:
I use ordinary "human" nail clippers on young puppies when the nails are quite thin but as they get older, I use "doggy" nail clippers - you can get them at most pet stores. Start by just taking the pointed ends off first - if you do nails little & often there's less likelihood of you taking so much off that you cut into the quick. Most good pet stores also stock powder to put on nails should they bleed (eg Quick Stop) so it's worth getting a pot in just in case, though you shouldn't need it hopefully :)                    

Michele:

--- Quote from: Mike on August 12, 2002, 04:38:19 PM ---My pup is five and a half months now and her nails need clipping. She scratched me last week on the neck and left painful claw marks (which have now cleared). Until then, I hadnt realised her claws were quite so sharp.

The nails are black, which makes me wary of attempting it myself due to being unable to see the kwik (however it is spelt!) ... but i want to give it a try, if I can. Any tips on how I go about it/what to use, from those of you who do this yourself?

--- End quote ---

So Mike, did you have a go at doing Daisy's nails ???                    

Mike:
yes. though I didnt clip much off them as i was a bit wary, plus she was a bit wriggly. Well actually she was a lot wriggly :D The next time i do them I'll be a bit braver. The older she's getting, the more comfortable (i.e. well behaved!) she is with being groomed (brushed, etc). Phew!                    

Fran:
Hi Mike,

I was as nervous as you about clipping Suzies nails.  I brought nail clippers months ago and still have not used them.  Eventually this week I took her down to the local groomers.  She had her first wash, cut and blow dry and  nail clipping which cost £26.00 which I think is good value. (and she looks lovely!).

Fran.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version