Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

help with elderly cocker

(1/3) > >>

daydreams:
Hi everyone,

I would really welcome some advice on how to deal with my old lady Bracken, she was 13 years old in August and I have had my worries over the last year as she has had some spinal problems, which has made her back legs quite week, but we have got over all these worries and for the past few months some of my old 'scallywag' has been back, BUT,  we do seem to have a problem with her pooping at night. 

her appetite has improved, from being a fussy eater she will now eat almost anything, she is still fussy, but its more of what she wants to eat, if nothing else is provided other than her biscuits then its 'ok if I must' but she is eating well

we take her out for her normal walks,  sometimes she's a bit of a plodder and doesn't seem to enjoy them then we cut them short, at other times she's like a puppy again
we let her out at night before we go to bed, but about 4am I hear her walking about our bungalow ( she sleeps in her bed in our bedroom)  I let her out and all is ok, but if I don't wake then she begins to cry and if I'm not up in time she has an accident by the back door, she is trying to let me know and bless her it seems to upset her as well

poo is normal, so nothing wrong with upset tummy etc., but I am at my whit's end as to why this is suddenly staring and what can I do about it

I would really welcome your help on this,

thanks

Maria and Bracken

daydreams:
sorry mods, thanks for moving into right section

rednblack:
It might be worth getting your vet to check Bracken over to see if there is any physical or medical reason for her needing to toilet in the early hours. 

I've had a similar problem years ago with an oldie, and while more may be available nowadays on the vet side, on the "problem management" side you might find that putting down newspaper over the spot where she toilets in the night will save you having to clean up every morning.

It's really hard when they get into their teens, my personal feeling is to let them tell me when they've had enough walking, as they can't tell us in words if they feel a bit tired/bad/sore/whatever.

Best wishes for you and Bracken.

daydreams:
thanks for your reply,  Bracken is due her yearly check and jabs in January so I'll talk it over with the vet then

I think your right, we go with how she feels as to what we do, she lets us know if she's more able to do things on some days than on others,

as long as she remains well  in herself and is happy, so am I,  but if we could resolve this problem then it would be good,

thanks

Maria and Bracken

ollie nathan's mum:
It's possibly the increase in food and decrease in her walks. It's worth mentioning when you go to the vets. I would tend to do what ever keeps her happy and healthy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version