Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

help with elderly cocker

<< < (3/3)

daydreams:
Hi

thanks for your replies

I've got Bracken on umove which has made a real difference over the last year with her arthritis.  she has metacam when needed,  I have never realised that her yearly vaccination isn't essential as she gets older, mind you I'm not sure how our vets will take this, they seem to be quite  'business like and money oriented'  so I'll see what they say when I go again in Jan.  I will definitely  ask about the Aktivait

hearing has gone but we have adapted quite well to hand signals, which she seems to understand, although she does sometimes manage to 'hear' when I open her cupboard where her food and treats are kept!!!!

I have noticed though in strong sunlight she sometimes 'flinches' as though she is frightened, she much prefers the cloudy weather, when I watch her in the garden on a sunny day she will sometimes 'jump' if a shadow crosses her path, but again she is such a stalwart she just carries on,

all your replies have been so helpful, thank you,  I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything,  and touch wood,  we have had a few clear nights with no 'accidents' thank goodness

Brackens birthday is 4th August, if I can work out how I'll post a photo of my grand old lady

thanks for your help

Maria and Bracken

elaine.e:
Just read the above post Maria, and when my old boy was losing his sight to cataracts he used to flinch when moving from shadow into bright sunlight. It was at the stage where he had very little sight left so I'm wondering if Bracken is losing her sight?  Sorry if that comes as a bit of a shock, and I hope that isn't the case, but I have to say that Josh adapted really well and it didn't seem to worry him. He still found his way round the house and garden and was confident to plod along off lead on walks. I kept a really close watch on him then of course, and made sure I was always close enough to give him a reassuring touch and guide him if he got a bit lost.

sodpot2000:
I know from both relatives and from dogs with cataracts that bright sun can be a problem and can be quite disorientating. It doesn't mean that Bracken can't see - only that in some circumstances her sight isn't what it used to be. Just a matter of watching out for them and making allowances just as we hope someone will do for us in due course!

PennyB:
I know when Roobs had glaucoma the sunlight actually hurt her eyes so worth checking her eyesight out

I do think their toilet habits can change when they get to a certain age - occasionally Roobs pees on the kitchen floor but I put that down to the meds she's on (frusedale) + I sometimes have to get up in the night to let her out

As others suggest may be vivitonin might help and working out her eating intake

daydreams:
thanks for your replies,  I think your right, I think she is beginning to lose her sight,  we thought this about a year ago and had it checked by the vet who couldn't confirm cataracts, but she is due  her yearly health check this month so I have many questions I need to ask when we go

we went to  the beach at Looe on Friday, it was such a lovely day, and Bracken was scampering around like a puppy again, it was so lovely to see, came home  she had a good dinner and then spent the rest of the night snoring very loudly ;)
when we got her lead to go for a walk the following day, weather not so nice, she looked at me as if to say,  not likely so snuggled back into her bed and had a quiet day

I think we will have her checked,  but go with what she wants, and hope this continues for a long time to come
thanks for your replies, 
Maria

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version