Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Weeing more

(1/2) > >>

Ben's mum:
Just a quick question.
 over the last couple of months I have noticed that Ben asks to go out for a wee a lot more regularly, also when he wants to go he wants to go now! Is that usual in older dogs? He goes fine throughout the night at the moment, it is mainly throughout the day.
Thanks

elaine.e:
Some months ago William went through a phase of needing to pee a bit more frequently and needing to go urgently, so I took him and a pee sample to the vet. She did a dipstick test and it showed an infection so he was put on antibiotics, which resolved the problem.

She also said he had traces of crystals (can't remember which sort) and wanted to sell me a particular kibble. As William is raw fed I declined! He's never been one for drinking lots of water and he doesn't cock his leg and mark but tends to go for hours and hours in between pees. So his urine often looks quite yellow and smells a bit strong - like human urine does when someone is dehydrated.

So I started adding filtered water to his breakfast to make sure he has quite a lot of moisture (raw food + water) early on in the day and monitored his drinking habits. For my own satisfaction I then got the vet to do a full urine analysis, not just a dipstick test, a couple of months later, and it came back normal.

I've continued adding filtered water to his breakfast every day. I think it benefits him. I remember when I was a child my mother was always nagging me because I hardly drank anything. I used to get dreadful headaches and ended up with a nasty kidney infection when I was 10, triggered by dehydration, so I know it can cause problems.

I think if Ben was mine I'd take him and a pee sample to the vet and ask her to have a feel of his prostate as well - typical old man problems, but best checked I think.

Ben's mum:
Thanks Elaine I will get him checked out. He is drinking more than he used to, I mentioned that to the vet on our Christmas visit and she didn't seem concerned. I was thinking of diabetes, but she wasn't too worried, but I didn't think to mention that he needs to wee more often.

PennyB:
I think like older people they do suffer more from urinary infections so always worth checking out

LurcherGirl:
Definitely worth checking out. It could just be change of food (I once changed to a particular kibble and they started drinking loads more), but it could also be an infection, diabetes or kidney issues. My old lurcher started drinking more water than usual, no cause could be found so by elimination he was diagnosed with psychogenic diabetes insipidus caused by stress. He wasn't on any medication, and his water intake did drop again when things settled down again, so the diagnosis was correct. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version