Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Dementia help

<< < (2/3) > >>

cindere528:
I have no advice to offer, but just wanted to say I know what it's like, having a dog with dementia. My Pansy, who is somewhere between 12 & 14 also has it. I wouldn't say she gets distressed, but she does get lost in the house and garden, both of which are very small. I often say it would be very difficult if we lived in a big house with a big garden. Pansy is also blind & deaf. She has Glaucoma and the vet has said she can't have Vivitonin because of the Glaucoma.

Sometimes I think she's coming to the end of her life, but then she rallies & seems to enjoy life again. She does have some quality of life, so as long as she enjoys her walks & her food, she will carry on.

aljeana:
Thank you everyone

Rosie woke up this morning her "normal" self  :luv:  a little wobbly but in full control of her brain

Which makes me wonder if she had a little stroke yesterday as when Mollie had little strokes at 15yrs she would be odd for a few days then bounce back.

It could explain why she was so distressed

What I also noticed my other cockers were quite concerned over Rosie yesterday kept checking her, licking & cuddling up to her so sweet. Today when Rosie got out of bed with her wobbly sea legs they went to her & they took her out side & she had a little play came running back in as to say what's all the fuss about  ;) ;)

I am going to still take her to my vets & see if we can help her a little

Fluff:
I've got Belle on Aktivait and seen a real difference in the pacing and barking. She's 14.

PennyB:
Melatonin is useful for this as well as it helps calm them

I tried it on Ruby last night after being kept awake the other night - her night-time distress is most likely down to her facial tumour with a bit of old age thrown in - and she was quite settled really so will try again tonight (its something that works quite quickly - doesn't make them dopey just settled IYSWIM)

aljeana:
Hi Penny

Is Melatonin vet supplied googled seems an off the self product for humans is there a difference in dog dosage ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version