Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Ben's mystery illness

(1/3) > >>

Ben's mum:
Had a fright today, Ben hasn't been himself for a couple of months now, just a few little bits and pieces, but this morning OH called me at work to say he found Ben standing at the top of the stairs all hunched as if in pain and shaking. He was also just staring vacantly.

My lovely vet got him in straight away, and by the time I got him to the vet he was standing hunched with his head and neck lowered, his chin almost touching the floor, just shaking slightly.

I had to leave him and she has done everything, bloods, urine samples, full neurological tests, checked joints, spine, eyes, etc etc. she said just once when she was doing a neurological check on his left side he failed to return his foot properly to the correct position straight away, she called in the senior vet to look and by then Ben had put his foot right and was all ok when checked again.  She said he had a poor response to light in his left eye, but that could be age related.  He was there several hours and by the time I picked him up he was almost back to normal and they are baffled.  :dunno:  she said he is actually in really good shape for his age and kidney and liver function excellent etc.  She doesn't think it was a stroke or epilepsy.

Something very similar happened on Christmas Day, but not as bad, and then they put it down to arthritis and a painful spasm, but she said today his joints were moving ok, and he didn't seem to be stuggling with muscles. He had a metacam injection anyway in case he is in pain, but I am none the wiser.

I don't suppose anyone has any ideas or seen anything similar? He has been drinking and weeing a lot as I have said before, but infections and diabetes etc have been ruled out, all is tip top there.  I have to take him back in a week for a check up, but he is looking remarkably healthy now, and it's a struggle to keep him from rushing around.

Sorry for the long post, but I hate not knowing what is going on, my vets are brilliant, but have to admit to being  baffled.  It's been a tough week, my mums dog Molly died unexpectedly on Monday from liver failure with no warning signs, so feeling a bit fragile at the moment.

MIN:
do you think he might have had a slight stroke. sending him  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
sorry to hear about your mums Molly

Countrygirl:
Hope Ben is alright and whatever was the matter has gone away.

So very sorry to hear the sad news about Molly.  Thinking of your mum.

elaine.e:
What a worry, especially with no diagnosis. A neighbour's Cocker, Oscar, who is about 10, recently had a bout of Idiopathic Vestibular Syndrome. His symptoms lasted for several days but sounded quite similar to Ben's from what his owner told me. However, I've just googled it and the articles I've looked at make it seem less likely than I thought it might be when told Oscar's symptoms. Here's a link anyway, in case it rings any bells with you http://www.thebark.com/content/idiopathic-or-old-dog-vestibular-disease

I'm sorry to hear about your mum's dog Molly, and hope that Ben doesn't have any more episodes :bigarmhug:

Penelope:
So sorry to hear about your mum's dog.   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Very worrying not to find a cause for Ben's illness, but at the same time, hopefully no news is good news.
If your vet couldn't find anything specific then at least he has ruled out lots of horrible things.  Maybe he was just feeling his age and feeling a bit down and maybe sore with joints etc?  I know I sometimes feel old and creaky!! Perhaps he was too, but then perked up after a while?

I won't tell you not to worry, but at the same time, the longer he goes without it happening again, you can begin to relax a bit.
Give him a gentle squish from us.

Take care.   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version