General > Introductions

Struggling first time owner - help!

<< < (3/5) > >>

phoenix:
I’m on my third adult rescue dog, who appeared very confident. He copied my other dog who yaps and barks at other dogs.my mistake was thinking he was confident. He was scared.   He’d never been on a lead, No training  and although very happy, had pneumonia , needing nearly all his teeth out.   
Working  with a behaviourist trainer,  I learnt to firstly take him on the same walks outside home,  so that it became familiar. Never meet new dogs face on, either cross the road, or turn round . Sit on  a park bench and let her watch people and dogs walk by.  Be very calm with her, keep rewarding her with preferably bits of cooked chicken. She will associate walks with rewards, and ignore other scary distractions.
It is super important to get her to ‘look at me’.  Call her name,and treat her.again and again.  Then when walking on lead outside, call her name, she turns to look at you, say good dog, then come , more chicken.  Stop her thinking about what’s around her.   Giving meat is better than biscuit or fatty shop treats.
What were the circumstances for being rehomed, was it a shelter or private owner?

I know you can’t get help at dog classes at the moment, but maybe you could phone a trainer to discuss something soon. I wholeheartedly advise a few one to one sessions as you are new to dog ownership, and your pet is undergoing a huge change too. It sounds expensive, but a monthly session works out the same as  going to weekly classes where you don’t get help with individual issues.  In fact , most good classes won’t accept reactive dogs because it will upset the others. I had one to one , once a month for a year. I learnt so much about how my dog’s brain worked.

As said by someone else, this won’t last for ever!   Maybe your main challenge will be keeping that American cocker long fur under control!  They are gorgeous.

OffMyCocker:

--- Quote ---What were the circumstances for being rehomed, was it a shelter or private owner?
--- End quote ---

She was rehomed from the previous owner (privately). She had been with a breeder for 18 months, since being a 7 month puppy. However she couldn't get pregnant, so she had to be rehomed. We are actually the second rehome, because the dog was rehomed but wasn't settling into the home with several children, so then was rehomed again to us. That means that, at 2 years 4 months, she's been in at least 4 homes since being a puppy, and 3 different homes just this year.

I am still in contact with both the previous owners, and they always said that she was an excellent dog with no behavioural issues, no problems on lead etc. She was always in a loving home too. However, obviously she's had a lot of change, plus the previous homes had other dogs (I don't), so she might have been fine when walked alongside dogs she knew, but now we're walking her on her own.

Mari:
That is a lot of instability for a young dog, not too surprising that she has developed some issues with insecurity.
Did I misunderstand or did they try to breed her before you got her? Before she was even two years old?
Poor girl, I really hope she settles in with you and that the stability you provide can help her to behave better so you can enjoy her company more.

OffMyCocker:

--- Quote ---Did I misunderstand or did they try to breed her before you got her? Before she was even two years old?
--- End quote ---

She was imported from Europe at 7 months and went to the breeder, who kept her for 18 months. They only tried to breed from her recently, hence having to rehome her 2 months ago, so no she wasn't being bred from at an inappropriate age! The breeder is licensed, and really lovely from the communication I've had with her.

I'm going to keep working on her training, trying to give her physical/mental stimulation but also work on the more difficult issues. Hopefully if I give it everything I can, over time she will get happier, and I will get happier too!

Mari:

--- Quote from: OffMyCocker on April 30, 2020, 04:21:13 PM ---
I'm going to keep working on her training, trying to give her physical/mental stimulation but also work on the more difficult issues. Hopefully if I give it everything I can, over time she will get happier, and I will get happier too!

--- End quote ---

We'll be here cheering for you, or ready to listen if you need to vent  ;) I'm sure you will both feel happier soon! It's good that she has had caring owners when she has had to move so much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version