Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Oliver update **

<< < (2/6) > >>

Mari:
I hope he feels better soon and I hope it feels less overwhelming once you see your vet. It will hopefully be easier to see the way forward when you have more information on possible diagnosis and prognosis. They should take the time to explain options once they know more. It's always difficult to know how much or how invasive of a treatment is worth it at a certain age. But sometimes seemingly scary problems have solutions that are not scary. So I'd say not to worry until you know more, but I know that's impossible. I'm sure you will make the right decisions on how to handle this. You already want the best for Oliver, now you just need some information from your vet.
Regarding sedation, I know they sometimes have to sedate to get good imaging, and with safe choice of meds and good monitoring, the risks are very low. And at my vets, and probably most vets, they use sedation that can be reversed with another drug so the animals can be woken up and not be sedated longer than necessary. I find comfort in that  :blink: Sedation is less risky than anaesthesia.

Jaysmumagain:
Thank you everyone...my thoughts aren't running away with me as much.

Glad am seeing our vet - one of the best in my eyes.  It is a private practice too.

My boy seems to be in good spirits - still clearing his throat - but usually first things - his appetite is good etc.  Will catch up with any news over next couple days.

Thank you all

Mudmagnets:
Sorry to read about Oliver, it's frightening when you don't know what is happening, or why. Somehow missed your post, but hope the vet can shed some light on the situation today and help Oliver.

:bestwishes: and  :bigarmhug: for you all.

Jaysmumagain:
Sadly not good news for my sweetheart, the clearing throat noise growth.  Inoperable

Started medication today - same as Jay had - I am broken.  Will see how Ollie copes with them.

Will try and stay strong for my boy

vixen:
I sincerely hope that Oliver will respond to the drugs.
My old lady Marley 13 had become extremely ill and we felt we were losing her.
Bloods were inconclusive but a scan showed ‘possible’  tumour in the intestines.
We didn’t want her to undergo invasive surgery at 13 as when she had the scan she was extremely ill afterwards and it took her a whole 4 days to recover.
We opted for palliative care and fortunately for us she has responded very well (so much so  that we are now gradually reducing the steroid dose).
We are aware that the steroids are not a cure but they have really helped her and I sincerely hope whatever drugs Oliver is on, he will respond as well as Marley has.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version