Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Desperately need some sleep help .

<< < (2/4) > >>

bizzylizzy:
No advice I‘m afraid but sending  :bigarmhug:. A pj weekend sounds like a good idea!  ;)

vixen:
It sounds like sundowners syndrome to me.  Stevie (13) has dementia and now sundowners.  She is asleep most of the day but at night she is very challenging.  She gets up lots of times and just finds it hard to settle.  She started to try to get into places such as between a cupboard and a wall where she can’t possibly fit and then get stuck.  She has got behind the sofa and the wall and panicked as she couldn’t reverse and screamed the house down.  I found it really difficult to keep coming down, letting her out, trying to settle her and then as soon as I had got into bed, i could hear her spinning and pacing again.  I have decided to just sleep downstairs on the sofa during the week as it is just easier than keep coming down for her.  My daughter takes over the night shift during the weekend so I have 2 nights respite. I think it likely that this is gonna carry on for the rest of her life but I love her and owe her so much it is the least I can do.
I have given her melatonin for a week now as it had wonderful reviews but sadly there is no improvement yet

waggytails:
I have struggled to get melatonin but found something called melacutin  which is basically melatonin with other things added, so we tried it last night for the first time. It made no difference. So like you said I think it's something we are going to after to learn to live with.  Hope you dog keeps well

vixen:
I got my melatonin as melacutin too and no improvement yet either.
I was influenced by the good reviews but I guess what works for one dog may not work for another.
Last night was a good night (typical as it was my night off  :005:)  We have tried varying when she has her last meal before bed time and last night she had a late snack and went through till 6.30 but we could do the same tonight and her be up several times again.
It is a really hard time as she isn’t aware of who we are.  Physically though she is doing well apart from wobbly back legs.
I hope things improve for Hattie but I know exactly how frustrating it can be getting up several times a night.

waggytails:
Sounds just like my girl, but Hattie does know who we are, but she thinks she's not eaten and wanting  food every time she wakes up.😐 we have tried varying times of her food but like you it doesn't really give you consistent results.  I suppose it's something we will just have to work around the best we can. Sending cuddles to your oldies 😘

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version