Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

No clippers - unrealistic?

(1/3) > >>

JohnMcL:
Hi,
Am I being unrealistic thinking I can stay on top of a black cocker’s coat using Spratts combs, elastic bands and blending scissors please? She is 9 months old, very hairy and dropping coat but doesn’t look any different after an hour’s combing daily even though about a quarter of a carrier bag is coming out. I’m wondering if I need more tools like clippers as she looks like a yeti with very long side burns. I really can’t see her top knot going with just a Spratts 76 comb as it’s getting thicker and thicker. I’m concerned that in winter it’s going to be very difficult to dry her after walks.
I really would like to continue gently hand stripping and am aiming to keep her in full coat. Do any of you manage without clippers please? I’d prefer not to use a groomer.

Thanks.

bizzylizzy:
Hi John, have you looked at the Coat King? Its good for stripping out the thick woolly undercoat, although I was warned about using it along the back. Its maybe worth trying it before you resort to clippers. There are some good videos online and the website will give advice about which one is best, as there are various models available. :luv:

JohnMcL:
Thank you! I’d forgotten all about a Coat King, I’ll have a look for videos. At the minute I can’t see what is new coat and what is puppy coat so I’m reluctant to use anything with a blade in case I cause damage. I hadn’t factored facial hair in and she’s resembling a Newfoundland. I’ve not had to trim furry faces before, my other two don’t have hair growth between their eyes either?
I hope we’re at the tidy up stage, does it get easier when the fluff drops please?

bizzylizzy:
I think you are probably better to sit it out until the puppy coat‘s all out and then you can see what you‘re left with, I don’t think you’re supposed to use the coat king on the puppy hair. I‘m probably not the best to advise you, Humphrey‘s a gold sable and I think the black coats are generally a lot thicker anyway, he didn‘t really become a problem until he was castrated when it went very woolly and curly, - I now use a combination of clippers, coat king and scissors but its a mess anyway to be honest, I had to hack so much off when he was ill last year and totally incontinent just to keep him clean and I rather lost the plot.
Have you looked at any of the pins in the grooming section on here? there may be something in some of the old threads that might help or better still maybe someone else with a black cocker will be able to give you better advice. Sorry not to be of more help  :huh:

JohnMcL:
You’ve really helped! Thank you! I think you’re right in leaving the coat alone until all the fluff falls. It’s difficult to see her shape yet, I think that’s why I can’t see where to start.
Humphrey is a beautiful pup, I saw your videos with him in the snow and he most certainly doesn’t look a mess!

I’ve got a few months to figure out what to do thankfully!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version