Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

haircut 100

(1/8) > >>

saffy1:
hi there,
saffy..or scruffy as we DID call her went for a trim......she is only 7 mnths old and her hair was getting a bit long.We took her to a groomers.(crufts breed runner up),and naturally we were a bit scared of what she would end up looking like.The groomer said she wouldnt cut her short..but when i picked her up she looked like a shaved lamb with BIG ears!!!!!!!!!.She hasnt been shaved really short but enough short ti give us a shock.Her legs look so skinny now.compared to her "snow boots" she used to have.I will post some pics for u to see what i mean...but is this normal for a cocker to be cut this way...i like it better when she has a bit of hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!! see ya soon..........mark                    

Jane S:
Hi Mark

Sometimes if you are used to a hairy looking puppy with a lot of fluff, then when you get them back minus fluff with neatly trimmed feet etc, it can come as a bit of a shock :) Having said that, if you asked for your puppy to be handstripped & specifically said that you didn't want the coat to be cut short, then she shouldn't have been shaved off like a lamb, unless the coat was very matted & tangled up in which case a fairly close cut would be justified. It all depends on what you asked for & what state Saffy's coat was in as to what you could reasonably expect her to look like after a trim. Cockers with "snow boots" may look cute but they shouldn't really look like that - they should have neat, tidy feet (much more practical too as they don't bring nearly so much mud in as big, hairy feet ;D)                    

Pammy:
Mark - it would be good to see a picture of Saffy so that we can see what has happened.

I remember when Jaspers feet were trimmed for the first time. I was there with the breeder as she was showing me what to do. He went in with huge fluffy pancake things on the end of his legs and came out with the most dainty looking tootsies that did make him look a different dog. It took us a while to get used to it too. She stripped his head which made him look such a grown up boy - no longer the great ball of fluff we had got used to ;D. It is usually just the visual shock of never having seen them look like that before. :)

The slightly worrying thing with your case is where you say "The groomer said she wouldnt cut her short" - unless, as Jane says, you specified a hand strip - and talked about cutting then it seems a clip is what was expected by the person doing the grooming as opposed to a hand strip. Either way - it will grow back. :)                    

Jen:
OMG!!! Monty is going for his first haircut tomorrow.  Veteran COL ers will have seen that he is a 7 month old ball of blue roan fluff.  This thread has worried me now.....I'm going to make sure I say NO clippers......                    

Jen:

--- Quote from: Jen on March 17, 2003, 09:53:23 PM ---...I'm going to make sure I say NO clippers......
--- End quote ---

The groomer took one look at Monty and said she would HAVE to use the clippers to "skim" him as he's so hairy :o.....
I voiced my concerns of him looking "sheep like" - but she has reassured me that will not happen and that I should calm down & trust her (so I must have sounded like a neurotic nutter!)......as I post this...he's there being done....roll on 1.30pm.  Will I pick up a cocker or a sheep???? Watch this space :-                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version