Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

haircut 100

<< < (2/8) > >>

Jane S:
Oh Jen - sorry but I've never looked at a hairy puppy & said I would have to clip him or her :( Cockers puppies are hairy & anyone used to handstripping them knows that you can't do it all at once & you just have to be patient & wait until the coat is ready to come out naturally, not just get your clippers out. I don't think you were being neurotic at all - you know what you wanted but unfortunately, this isn't what you are going to get :(                    

Pammy:
Jen - I do hope Monty is OK.

What is is with all these commercial groomers who don't think the owners know anything >:( When you are paying for a service you have the right to say what that service should be. If they then don't want to do it that way - as is their right - then so be it - but it's the attitude that gets me. I bet they wouldn't let a hairdresser take clippers to their head willy nilly!!                    

Mike:
Echoing what Jane and Pam say - dont want to add to your probably growing concerns Jen, but it sounds like she might not have much experience with cockers. Is Monty's puppy fur still not giving? If that's the case, I hope that by 'skimming', she just means lightly touching the surface to tidy him up A LITTLE, rather than getting rid of the whole coat before it's ready to be stripped.                    

Jen:
You lot are making me cak myself now...I am going to pick him up with my eyes shut! :'(
I searched for a reputable groomer - this one is experienced  - she's been doing it for 30 years! .....and there is a gallery in the foyer of the reception area that had pictures of loads of dogs in breed 'sets' - one of the collections being cockers....all of which looked alright to my untrained eye.  I don't want a show dog - but I don't want a sheep either!
I don't know anyone with cockers who could recommend a groomer in my area.....so I was kinda stuck really & went for one who was experienced AND had done cockers.
From the comments I am getting from you guys though - looks like I'll have to rename Monty "Larry the Lamb" :-                    

Jane S:
Sorry for getting you worried Jen - I'm sure this groomer is highly experienced, most commercial groomers are very experienced at doing Cockers but only using clippers. I'd guess your groomer doesn't offer handstripping for Cockers (which incidentally is not just for show dogs!) but as long as she doesn't cut him too short & you're happy with the results, then that's fine ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version