Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

Show grooming

(1/6) > >>

Eljay:
Can I have some advice on grooming for a show.
I'm not sure whether I can use thinning scissors on the front of the legs or do they have to be hand plucked? And do you hand pluck the back legs? Also can you use thining scissors on the ears at the top? I'ts difficult to see from a lot of the pictures in the books as they are all taken from the side view. ???
Sorry to appear stupid but I've never done this before so it's all new  :-[                    

Jane S:
Hi Lou

In the old days, you handstripped everything including legs, tops of ears etc but that was when coats were finer & not as heavy as they are today. Nowadays, there are some coats you can totally handstrip & some you can't - it all depends on the coat eg I can handstrip the tops of the ears on Ruby but wouldn't attempt it on some of our heavier coated dark blues. So basically, you handstrip as much as you can but where you can't, you carefully use your thinning scissors :) When you say about the back legs, do you mean the stifles or the rear pasterns? Stifles you would try to handstrip but pasterns would be neatly trimmed with scissors.

Jane                    

Eljay:
Hi Jane,

Thanks very much. I will try to trim him up a bit now, as I have not wanted to use the scissors in case I was wrong. He has quite hairy legs so I think the thinning scissors will help.

Lou.                    

Jane S:
Good idea - just use the scissors lightly to begin with & brush out frequently with your slicker brush so you can see the effect you're having & not take too much off by mistake. You don't have to take all the hair off on a puppy's legs - it's normal to see puppies at shows with "puppy trousers" which have just been tidied up a little to make them look neater :)                    

Eljay:
Thanks again Jane  ;D Will keep trying.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version