Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

COAT KING

(1/3) > >>

Jen:
Well I've got it and my spratts comb ;D - I've had a go at using them too and was like :o at how much hair came out.....then I was like  :o  because  he still looks exactly the same ???
Michele kindly gave me a demo of how to used the CK - so I am sure I'm doing it right, but perhaps you could tell me how long will it take before the fluff goes? How long should sessions last (Monty seems to quite like the CK and behaves himself when I am doing it, providing he gets the odd boney biscuit ;))  and Can you Coat king Too much???and finally, is it Ok to use the CK on his head?

PS - this post sound like I'm expecting a miracle - a smooth cocker after a quick flick with the CK - I'm not - but really am just wondering how long before I see results?

I know these may have all been answered before - so sorry if you are having to repeat yourselves ;)                    

Shirley:
;D  ;D  ;D LOL

I've been working on Morgan for about 3 months now and he's starting to look less 'furrball' like.  He hates the coatking on his head so I've been using thinning scissors - I think I'm too soft for hand stripping (I think it was Gill who said she was plucking like agirl - well that's me, too  :-[)

Last night I decided to tackle his paws and don't think I made too much of a mess of them - he no longer has big fluffy boots - I marched him into the livingroom so he could show Eric his 'big boy's paws'   ;D

It does seem as if you're spending an hour grooming, end up with a bin bag full of hair and the darn thing still looks the same - but it does work  ;)

Morgan's not going to any shows so I just want to keep him tidy and still looking like a cocker - are you planning on showing Monty?

Good luck and let us see some pics of Monty soon.  :D                    

Jen:
OMG Shirely - THREE MONTHS :o :o :o - I wonder if they go to the groomers to be handstripped then it takes a few visits to get them right?

I don't intend to show Monty - though I really enjoyed my first visit to a cocker show the other week - but really, like you, I just want him to look like a cocker rather than a furry big fluff ball ;D ;)                    

Anita:
Jen

I've been thinking about getting a coat king but haven't as Phoebe hasn't got much coat yet. She's been for a tidy up a couple of times.

I keep thinking about a CK as I definitely don't want her clipped - just for her to look like a cocker. At the moment she seems a bit 'scruffy' (don't tell her I told you). Her coat is quite fluffy on the tops (especially her bum) but her feathers are fine. Am I right in thinking it will settle down as she gets older - she's only 8 months - is there time for her to turn more cocker like????

I would definitely carry on with the CK if you're not showing Monty as from what I've seen on here its a good way to go. :)                    

Shirley:
;D Don't panic Jen, I don't do the trimming thing every day, just once a week and only get a good run at it if he falls asleep  ;D  ;D  ;D.  The rest of the time it's a quick sweep with the slicker and spratts comb.  Have you got thinning scissors too?  They make a huge difference, although I'm in the early stages off learning too, so I'm v. cautious with them.

I don't know how  many visits to the groomer it would be for handstripping.  I don't have that option though - there are a couple of dog groomers here who will come to your home but I've seen the handy-work of one who managed to turn a friends field spaniel into a lab :o   :(  :o                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version