Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

Help!!!! Ears!!!

(1/6) > >>

Gilly:
I have now received my thinning scissors for Buttons. I have completely handstripped her back and head. I did have a go at the rest but she found it too uncomfortable, so i decided on the thinners. I had a go yesterday and did her feet, which look OK (ish) :- Then started on the tops of her ears, because since she had been groomed last time they have grown back really curly. I have thinned them down to the "lumpy bit" but they just look pretty much the same, just shorter, i.e. they are still curly ??? Have i not gone short enough ??? Buttons hasn't got a heavy coat at all, not like the cockers in any of the books I've got so it is very difficult to see exactly what I'm doing :-X
Basically I'm worried I'm making a right pigs ear ???                    

tracey:
Hi Gilly, sounds like you haven`t taken quite enough off.
I have just looked at a recent picture of Buttons and she does look like she has quite a lot of hair on her ears. ;D You need to go about a third of the way down the ear. Make sure the flat blade is down and the serrated bit is on top.  Take a bit at a time working down the ear. Just be careful, as they are new scissors they will be very sharp.
Hope this helps.
Tracey :)                    

Gilly:
Thanks Tracey,

I had a go at stripping some hair off where her ears meet her head, amd she didn't seem to mind so will carry on with that again tomorrow and then try again on her ears, do you now roughly what length the hair should be at the top, or is it just a case of keep going until its flat ???

Gilly                    

tracey:
Hi Gilly, yes just keep going till it`s flat. As I said do a little brush and do a bit more :) And remember if you make a mistake it will soon grow back ;D You can hand stip where the ears meet the head and blend the hand stripping and scissoring in as you go down the ear.
Good Luck, and well done for having a go :)
Tracey.                    

Gilly:
Hi Tracey, right, I'm on a mission tomorrow to give Buttons flat ears ;D
god help her :o                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version