Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

trimming the neck

(1/4) > >>

metpol fan:
I have now bought a no:10 blade for my andis clippers, and i want to trim Buffys neck, where do i trim it from and to where should it end to get the perfect result, i dont want to make a mistake ;)                    

Jane S:
Diane, please don't clip Buffy's neck - it's ok for a pet Cocker at a pinch but as you show Buffy, you really don't want to go down that road. I know some people have shaved off the necks on their show Cockers but it looks very ugly, specially on particolours (Buffy is a blue roan isn't she?) & won't impress judges, particularly the older, more traditional ones. To trim the neck, you should preferably try to strip out the excess hair by finger & thumb or by using a Spaniel comb (or a combination of both) or if you're really stuck, lightly use a Coat King but never clippers!! The no 10 blade is anyway a short cutting blade using mainly for the head - I wouldn't use a no 10 on the bodies of even the neutered pet Cockers I trim as it would cut the hair too short (the shorn lamb look ;D)                    

metpol fan:
Oh, its what my breeder does with his and has done it with buffy before, i always clip her neck but have only had babyliss clippers ( not very good ) and as these would take it shorter, obviously i wanted to do it correctly, also is there a comb that you can use to take out excess hair to make it look smoother on the body as buffys coat is very wavey due to previous owners full clipping her as a puppy several times!!! somebody told me they use a no:7 comb whatever that is ??? buffy always looks so much hairier than the rest when she is in the ring, although very short feathering as it was coming along nicely and then all dropped out ::) i just want her to have a lovely coat :)                    

cbabe:

--- Quote from: Jane S on July 07, 2003, 12:48:31 PM --- please don't clip Buffy's neck - it's ok for a pet Cocker at a pinch but as you show Buffy, you really don't want to go down that road. I know some people have shaved off the necks on their show Cockers but it looks very ugly, specially on particolours (Buffy is a blue roan isn't she?) & won't impress judges, particularly the older, more traditional ones.
--- End quote ---

You mean i've actually done something right by not clipping down the front?????  ; :)And i was considdering doing it  - but I agree it does look ugly and unnatural!

thanks for the reassurance!                    

Dessie:
Di

I use my thinning scissors to do the throat/chest   :- ???  I don't think I could handstrip either Bart's or Douglas'  ???.

I was told by a Breeder to clip the throats though as so many of them seem to be doing at the moment.

Dessie :D :D

Edited referring to wrong part .... ???                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version