Cocker Specific Discussion > Grooming

Dirty Ears

(1/4) > >>

luna_babe:
Hi All,

As we all know cocker spaniels get their ears in everything and trying to keep them clean is a nightmere. I was just wondering if any of you had some tips for keeping them clean and also how much cleaning is health?

I worry about cleaning Oscar too much as it is not healthy, but on the flip side I worry about him getting them dirty and getting an ear infection.

An advice would be appreciated                    

Barry Sharpe:
Can just answer on my own findings, So i cannot say this is the way to do it. But we have had no problems. We give his ears a wipe after all meals just the tips. We also clean his ears with cotton wool once a day this is just a quick clean on the inside of the ear takes about 5 secounds an ear. Then weekly when he has had a bath we use some special wet tisues to give his ears a little more cleaning but never deep inside hie ear. Just a little more thourough than the normal daily clean, at this time we give his ears a good look over.

Thats all we do... i shall kepp an eye on the thread to see if i am doing it right :)                    

Jane S:
I wish all owners were as diligent as you, Barry  :) I frequently have Cockers in for grooming with dirty, smelly ears that haven't had a cleaning for months  :(

Can't add much to your routine except to say that in addition, I use an old-fashioned ear powder called "Thornit", just a pinch every week or so. This helps to prevent any ear trouble & keeps ears clean & fresh (it also works very well as a treatment should there be a problem with excess wax, ear mites, minor infection etc) You can buy this online from http://www.championpets.freeserve.co.uk/ears.htm                    

Mike:
prevention is better than cure - peg Oscars ears together on tiop of his head when he's eating :D                    

richard sigrist:
I've heard about pegging ears before, but surely clothes pegs are too tight and would hurt the ears? Is there anything else you can use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version