Author Topic: Would any of you recommend clicker training?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Meggity

• Holly
Would any of you recommend clicker training?
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »
Am at a bit of a crossroads with Holly at the moment, with the need to go back and reinforce some basic training and then the potential to start gundog training using a whistle. 

I mentioned using clicker training to the Gundog Trainer and she was neither positive nor negative about it, but would prefer no clickers to be used during her training sessions (no surprise!).  My concern was that using training with both a clicker and whistle would confuse Holly - any thoughts on this?

Have any of you used clicker training before?  I have Karen Pryor's 'Clicker Training for Dogs' book and access to Youtube etc and was planning on doing a DIY version using all this information.

Is clicker training easier for both the yourself and doglet in the long run, or are more traditional methods easier?

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
Re: Would any of you recommend clicker training?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »
Hi

My pup achieved bronze, silver and gold in Kennel Club obedience class inside a year :clapping: without clicker or whistle :luv:
I purchased a clicker shortly after she came to us but it never had the same authority as a voice command and quickly ditched it for vocal command training :shades:

I think the key to successful training is consistency so whatever method you adopt, stick with it ;)

Mel.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
You can use clicker training as well as other methods.  Clicker training differs, as you probably already know, from other methods in that it requires the dog to 'offer' behaviours that are required.  And then the clicker is used as a marker for a particular behaviour.  I use it together with other methods. For example I taught my dog to weave, using the 2x2 method, which included the clicker.  Other aspects of agility were taught using a toy and lots of praise.  Some people use a clicker to teach different aspects of gundog training or obedience - to clearly mark the required action. Once a behaviour is learnt and the command introduced and understood, the clicker falls away.  Have a look on the gundog training forum.  Clicker training often comes up on there.  Some support it, others don't.  But it can definitely be used with other methods - it doesn't need to be an 'either/ or' situation. Confusion might come in, however if you started training say a sit, using a clicker, and then went to a lesson and used more traditional methods - if the dog didn't yet know what the command meant (if that makes sense?)   I've never used just a clicker to train everything - I think that would be quite a challenge!!  
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »
I clicker train Charlie, he is whistle trained (for recall), and we also go to classes where neither clicker nor whistle are used  :005:
So basically we use a wide range of positive methods. For example, I used a clicker to train him to push a button, but also use a happy 'yes!' when he gets things right too. I think the key with clicker training is getting the timing right, which took me a little while to do .

Offline Juno

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
If used correctly, using both a whistle and a clicker shouldn't confuse Holly.

A whistle is just another way of giving a command - for us, three pips on the whistle means exactly the same to my dog as "come here". 

A clicker is used to pinpoint the precise moment the dog performs the required behaviour - for example, if you were using a clicker to train a 'sit', you would lure with a treat over the head, and the instant the dog's bum hits the ground, you click and treat.  (A dog first needs to be taught that when it hears the click, they have finished the required behaviour and that a treat is on its way!  This is easily done by lots and lots of repetitions of clicking and treating over and over). 

I used a clicker to backchain a retrieve to hand but now that my dog knows that she must return to me with the dummy and put it in my hand, the clicker is no longer required.  The reward for putting it in my hand is another retrieve/a treat/a fuss/game/whatever.

We're also learning the stop whistle but I've found it easier just to shout "yessss!" and chuck a treat/ball/dummy as soon as she stops and sits as her reward.  I could click as soon as her bum hits the floor but whistling, hand signalling and tossing treats and toys within a second or two is about as much as my brain can handle.

Sorry, don't think I've really answered your questions. :-\

Offline Chillis

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »
I'm a clickerholic  :005: but see allot of people use them incorrectly
Don't see how it could confuse with the whistle?! they do different jobs
few people in class don't use them & have marker word instead
she learns 10000 quicker with it, just love them  :luv:

Offline Meggity

• Holly
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
Chillis - how did you learn to use the clicker?  Book, Youtube or classes?

Offline praia

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
There shouldn't be any confusion as they serve different purposes. 

A whistle is just another cue, like your voice or a hand signal.  A clicker is used as a distinct and precise marker that dog can easily build associations with specific behaviors.  Your voice using a particular word can also be a marker, but is far less precise as a clicker as variation in tone, pitch, speed can make it a little more difficult for a dog to build associations.  For my young cocker I do use clicker training and also employ a specific word, "yes," for verbal marker training. 

I enjoy clicker training as there are a variety of ways to teach and reinforce behaviors - shaping, luring, capturing, targeting.  Dogs that are clicker trained tend to pick up new behaviors far quicker than traditional marker training with your voice and it's amazing the great variety of behaviors and the level of precision you can teach a dog with a clicker. 

However, I never used clicker training for any gun dog training.  Having a whistle, a dummy, a check cord, and a rambunctious pup was already enough of a handful that I would never consider bringing a clicker along or any sort of treats.  I don't usually recommend clickers for training for the field unless the dog isn't a natural retriever in which case you should backchain the retrieve, but many people eventually run into problems with spitting dummies out when a dog is too eager to get the treat.  Honestly, if your dog has good drive, having a clicker or using treats are things that really aren't necessary if you're just shaping behaviors that already come naturally to them. 

Offline Chillis

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 06:47:55 PM »
Chillis - how did you learn to use the clicker?  Book, Youtube or classes?
classes here :)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
I have taught the odd bit and piece with a clicker,  ;) and if used correctly it can be used for aspects of Gundog work. A lot of Gundog trainers just train without one, but as a trainer myself I think people should embrace all kind, fair and effective methods. I think any trainer worth their salt should be able to adapt and have more in their locker than a one size fits all approach.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 07:34:32 AM »
A clicker is not a substitute for voice commands, whistle etc but can be used in addition.  As has been said, it is used to mark a desired behaviour and is much more precise than using a treat or whatever.  The secret is in the timing -  the click must mark the exact behaviour you want and tell the dog a reward is coming.  Eg if you are teaching a sit, then the click must be as the dog's bottom hits the ground.  ;)

I find it great for teaching specific behaviours, tricks etc - Coco learns things much quicker with it.  As Mark says, it is good to have a range of methods you can use  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline *DollyDaydream*

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
Dolly has learnt lots of tricks using the clicker method. I find it easier, but I also use voice commands but the clicker signals "well done, treat" as well as me saying it!

Offline Meggity

• Holly
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 02:25:38 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and thoughts on this!

Holly and I are now going to regular obedience and gun dog training with the same trainer.  But I think I will start clicker training her at home for the less basic tasks and tricks, as you all seem to think its easier to train things like that :)

Sadly I cant seem to find anyone offering clicker training courses in Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire, so looks like I will be going it alone on this one, still I know the basics and the importance now of timing - thanks to you all again :)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »
I was totally self taught, I started like you with Karen Pryor's Clicker Training for dogs. I also found the website clicker solutions really helpful. Lots of stuff on you tube too. Best of luck and have fun with your training.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline bbridget33

• My Little Man
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »
I use the clicker if I want info to really go in, I also use a whistle, and my voice, If used properly they are a great asset to training, have a look on the web Im sure that there are a lot of books on the subject the main thing I think with anything is timing.
Good luck