Author Topic: Terrible Recall  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 08:39:55 PM »
Good tip :)

I will try this although I am still not sure how i will get him on the lead!! :lol:

Thanks for the advice, I really, reallly need it :lol:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline PennyB

Terrible Recall
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 08:41:36 PM »
The trick is you take more than one ball out with you!

Mine would never retrieve or play fetch, but when I go the chuckitt then they could retrieve for Wales! The idea of more than one ball is that when they come close you just chuck another one so they have to drop it (I take 4 out with my two and its a hell of a game now but when I just used to take one ball and throw it they were never really interested or did what yours does and not drop or give back, I guess now they just like the speed and distance the ball goes now with the chuckitt)
[snapback]184518[/snapback]

Good tip :)
 I will try this, although I am not sure he would ever get close enough for me to get the lead on him!! :lol:

Thanks for the advice :)
[snapback]184521[/snapback]

Put him on a harness and longline and work on him that way out and about
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 08:44:10 PM »
Yup this is what I am going to go for if the trainer, doesn't say differently tomorrow!

Thanks again, anything else you think of please let me know :)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Terrible Recall
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 09:21:08 PM »
I use the chuckett in the same way - two balls. To get Alfie back on the lead when he still wants to play is to pocket one ball and have the other ball in the chuckett to entice him. As he gets close I grip it with my knees, looks obscene but it frees both hands, one to hold the collar, the other to snap on the lead - works every time :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

Terrible Recall
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 09:24:32 PM »
I use the chuckett in the same way - two balls. To get Alfie back on the lead when he still wants to play is to pocket one ball and have the other ball in the chuckett to entice him. As he gets close I grip it with my knees, looks obscene but it frees both hands, one to hold the collar, the other to snap on the lead - works every time :)
[snapback]184561[/snapback]

When Ruby 1st started playing with the chuckit she would retrieve one then sit on the other so Wilf couldn't have it, LOL. The 3rd one is useful now as Wilf just runs around with it in his mouth all the time but he pretends to race to get the chucked balls just to annoy Ruby. The 4th is the spare!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Terrible Recall
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 09:28:21 PM »
today I managed to call him back from a bitch in season - result :)

Good luck
[snapback]184499[/snapback]

Blimey, now that is impressive Caroline :)  :)

Why do people walk bitches in season where other dogs are though it annoys me?!! When Nance was in I got up an hour earlier so I was out before any other dogs ;)
[snapback]184503[/snapback]

Usually I would agree. In this case the first warning that she was in season was Alfies interest in her urine. Shes not showing any obvious sign of being in season and the owner is really responsible, we walk together every day

We are going to see what they are like together tomorrow and if its a definate that shes in season we are going to adjust our walks so we dont meet. Shame as I shall be leaving here in a few weeks and I happen to really like the owner and will miss seeing her :(
Caroline and Alfie

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Terrible Recall
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 09:33:17 PM »
The other thing I sometimes use along with the chuckitt is a long line. My local park is really playing fields so theres nothing to obstruct it. I leave the line on him and let it trail. When he starts to decide that running off with the ball is much more fun then coming back I tread on the line. Once he halts I recall him and start to praise him the minute he heads my way.

Mind you he then decides that running straight on pass me is quite good fun as well :)

Caroline and Alfie

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Terrible Recall
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 09:35:37 PM »
today I managed to call him back from a bitch in season - result :)

Good luck
[snapback]184499[/snapback]

Blimey, now that is impressive Caroline :)  :)

Why do people walk bitches in season where other dogs are though it annoys me?!! When Nance was in I got up an hour earlier so I was out before any other dogs ;)
[snapback]184503[/snapback]

Usually I would agree. In this case the first warning that she was in season was Alfies interest in her urine. Shes not showing any obvious sign of being in season and the owner is really responsible, we walk together every day

We are going to see what they are like together tomorrow and if its a definate that shes in season we are going to adjust our walks so we dont meet. Shame as I shall be leaving here in a few weeks and I happen to really like the owner and will miss seeing her :(
[snapback]184565[/snapback]

Fair enough!!!! ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 09:55:09 PM »
The other thing I sometimes use along with the chuckitt is a long line. My local park is really playing fields so theres nothing to obstruct it. I leave the line on him and let it trail. When he starts to decide that running off with the ball is much more fun then coming back I tread on the line. Once he halts I recall him and start to praise him the minute he heads my way.

Mind you he then decides that running straight on pass me is quite good fun as well :)
[snapback]184568[/snapback]

Yes this is what Bailey does!!! I am sooo buying a long line tomorrow!  What do you use?

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Terrible Recall
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 10:06:26 PM »
Yes this is what Bailey does!!! I am sooo buying a long line tomorrow!  What do you use?
[snapback]184589[/snapback]

This one -cheap and cheerfull
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 10:09:45 PM »
Fantastic thanks so much I am going to order one now! :)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Terrible Recall
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 10:35:32 PM »
[snapback]184604[/snapback]

Ive got a 30ft one. It takes some time getting the hang of handling it without tripping over but I like it cos it gives Alfie the sense of freedom. Like I say though, dont let him trail it along behind him if theres other people or trees or anything else he can get caught up in
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 10:36:49 PM »
[snapback]184604[/snapback]

Ive got a 30ft one. It takes some time getting the hang of handling it without tripping over but I like it cos it gives Alfie the sense of freedom. Like I say though, dont let him trail it along behind him if theres other people or trees or anything else he can get caught up in
[snapback]184613[/snapback]

So far I have never met another dog in our park in the morning or lunch time so I should be ok! Thanks again ;)

Penel

Terrible Recall
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 11:18:32 PM »
If you use a long line - you must have him on a harness - so he doesn't break his neck when you tread on the line  :)
That's how I trained my English Setter when her recall started to do settery things - harness, long line - whistle, and clicker, and treats - blow whistle, reel dog in, click and treat as she got to me.  Every day for three weeks - then we had a whistle recall that worked 95 times out of 100. :)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 11:30:14 PM »
If you use a long line - you must have him on a harness - so he doesn't break his neck when you tread on the line  :)
That's how I trained my English Setter when her recall started to do settery things - harness, long line - whistle, and clicker, and treats - blow whistle, reel dog in, click and treat as she got to me.  Every day for three weeks - then we had a whistle recall that worked 95 times out of 100. :)
[snapback]184622[/snapback]

I'm glad you told me about the harness, I would have been breaking his poor neck tomorrow :(  I have a harness too, although it may be a bit small now :P

Yes I have started training him to come back to a whistle and he is BRILLIANT in the house, but I haven't had the courage to let him off and try it since he ran into the road :lol: