Author Topic: Barking to excess  (Read 8515 times)

Anonymous

Barking to excess
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 01:28:22 PM »
pesonally (and I agree this maybe just me )   ;D but I wouldn't bend for a neighbour. they would hav to put up with it, after all my neighbours are the most noisy loud mouths going, I mean you really know they are enjoying themselves... (if I had nice neighbours it might doffer though )  ;)

so once they told me they realised I had another dog cos they heard her 'playing' with the kids in the garden..."yeah" I said.. "aint these houses paper thin I hear you playing meat loaf at 11.00pm at night..funny that! " and then I walked into my house... but then I am stubbourn me... proll best to passify the situation loraine..lolol..

but what I find hard to comprehend off your neighbour is she has a dog herself, and doesn't understand that by shouting at candy over the fence its gonna make things worse????  she really is a .....   ;) feel sorry for her dog

afterall Candy is in her teenage years, has had a new sister arrive, shes got big issue to deal ith in her doggie life... and if I was candy I would shout at the neighbour aswell  ;)                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Barking to excess
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2003, 10:14:54 AM »
I'm sure I saw on a website a kind of radar thing that emits a high pitched noise only audible to dogs and works on barking upto about 20/30 metres away.

Colin, I wonder if that is the "sonic" one?  I have tried the collar version of those and found it not to be effective - it might be OK for one dog in a household (they are a lot cheaper than the Aboistop) but the problem is in a household with more than one dog, if one of the other dogs barks then the poor dog with the collar on gets the full works from the sonic collar and cannot connect it to anything he has done so therefore not effective! :) Linda                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Jenney

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2003, 11:58:02 AM »
How awful, neighbours who'd have them! We've been trying really hard with Jake because he gets on my nerves yapping sometimes let alone the neighbours. Imagine how unimpressed I was when I went into the garden the other day when he was barking to find my neighbour standing on bench in their garden to look over a six foot fence holding her Yorkie up to see Jake. Mental?! Hmm thanks for making all to hours of training utterly useless. This is a grown woman?! I was and still am fuming about that one. >:(                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2003, 02:29:23 PM »
(( Electronic fence )) Colin, sorry can,t edit, what a good idea ;D might stop idiot neighbours from hanging over the fence annoying poor things. what does she think she,s playing at,stupid woman poor Jake, no wonder he,s barking. >:(                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Barking to excess
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2003, 11:14:51 AM »
I'm sure I saw on a website a kind of radar thing that emits a high pitched noise only audible to dogs and works on barking upto about 20/30 metres away.

Colin, I wonder if that is the "sonic" one?  I have tried the collar version of those and found it not to be effective - it
might be OK for one dog in a household (they are a lot cheaper than the Aboistop) but the problem is in a household with more than one dog, if one of the other dogs barks then the poor dog with the collar on gets the full works from the sonic collar and cannot connect it to anything he has done so therefore not effective! :) Linda

I almost bought one of those sonic collars, I was attracted by the price but then I thought how is this going to affect the other dog so thought better of it.  I should get the Aboistop one on Wed - can't wait!

Re: Jenney's post (don't know who to double quote) the angry neighbour also has a Yorkie and also used to lift him up to the fence to 'say hello to the new dogs'.  She's paying for it now!  ;)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2003, 01:05:02 PM »
Sounds to me Lorraine, thats, whats started Candy off in the first place.  ??? How stupid can some people be.  >:(
 Thats Candy and Georgias  domain and there bound to
 be barking, knowing that a strange dog is gonna pop up any minute.  ::)  Grrrrr.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2003, 04:51:03 PM »
Both the dogs have been a lot quieter this week (so I'm told) which is really good.  Anyhow, the trainer very kindly lent me an Aboistop Masterplus collar and I tried it yesterday evening.  It only went off once and you should have seen the look on her face when it did!  She didn't bark for the remainder of the time I had it on her.

I felt a little bit sorry for Candy as she was quite subdued and looked a bit sad (or is that me reading into things?  ;))

But I just thought I'd let you know that so far so good...  :)

Lastly, haven't seen hide nor hair of stroppy pants next door.  Hmmm, I wonder if that's why the dogs have been quieter this week???                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2003, 08:01:32 PM »
Hi Loraine

Whatever you do, try not to get into a serious dispute with your neighbour - such things now have to be disclosed when and if you sell your house.  If she complains to Environmental Health and starts keeping a diary of the noise, you will have problems.

Dogs left in gardens when their owners are out can make much more noise than when their owners are around.  We used to live next door to a couple who allowed their red setter access to the garden when they were out - it was a pretty noiseless dog when they were around, but left on its own, it barked and howled for hours in the garden.  The constant noise, day after day, was enough to make any dog lover start tearing their hair out, partly because it would also set off every other dog in hearing distance.  

Is it possible for you to get one of your nice neighbours to keep a record of the amount of barking that your dogs are making in the garden when you are out?  That way, you will have a more objective view of the extent of the 'problem'.  If it is fairly bad, then keeping them in will be the best thing.

Helen                    

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2003, 11:47:49 PM »
Hi Lorraine,

have you introduced your dog to your neighbour so she gets to know her, this may help as she will feel friendly towards her.

If your neighbour is frustrated and shouting shut up and then stomping into her house the dog will think that the barking is making the neighbour go away and that will reinforce the barking and cause the dog to do it more and more.

I have just got a new puppy and I intend to take it next door to meet my neighbours, there kids and there cats.

I had this problem a few weeks ago when looking after a westie and that dog used to bark at the fence, however she was in heat and across the neighbours fence was another dog who happened to be male and I think my Westie fancied a bit of hankie panky.

Also my neighbours have an apple tree and when the apples drop the dogs hear the noise and then run into the garden to bark at the noise, do your neighbours have a fruit tree?

Just a thought - good luck.                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2003, 12:53:09 AM »
woman up the rd from me has a westie  :D  bloody fing barks 24/7 thou , im a doggy lover but i can hear her wuff and im 7 houses down
:-  but still we know dogs do bark so we dont say a word :-X man  next doors complained too thou, old gimp! soo last week she got a behavourist in and it stoppted her barkin for 2 hours :D well at least thats somthing huh ;)                    

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2003, 06:15:24 PM »
Just had our neighbour round- only seconds after I got in from work (in a young offenders jail- like I need more stress!!) complaining about Fudge barking all day or night whenever we're out. I know for a fact she barks and he comes out to tell her to shut it- so that's just affirming her barking but I'm a bit nervous of him so I don't feel like saying to leave her bark. Going to have to keep her in I guess- except she's worked out how to unlock the dog flap! Any suggestions on the dog flap? Would a friend for Fudge sort out the barking? (a canine friend)                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Barking to excess
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2003, 09:05:55 PM »
Would a friend for Fudge sort out the barking? (a canine friend)

Chances are you might just end up with two barking dogs ;) ;D Vegas was never much of a barker but since we got yapping jaws aka Dallas, he has definitely got a bit more vocal ::) I would probably be better to keep Fudge indoors when your not there and leave the radio on or leave her with a buster cube to keep her occupied. Can you block off the dog flap at all? Maybe with a wheelie bin or something so she cant get out? If she has to be outside, then the only thing I can think of would be to use the aboistop collar.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2003, 09:51:24 PM »
Just had our neighbour round- only seconds after I got in from work (in a young offenders jail- like I need more stress!!) complaining about Fudge barking all day or night whenever we're out. I know for a fact she barks and he comes out to tell her to shut it- so that's just affirming her barking but I'm a bit nervous of him so I don't feel like saying to leave her bark. Going to have to keep her in I guess- except she's worked out how to unlock the dog flap! Any suggestions on the dog flap? Would a friend for Fudge sort out the barking? (a canine friend)
No is the simple answer  ;) - it could make it worse.  :o I agree with Gill here and recommend an anti bark collar but watch out the batteries are well expensive!  But I know exactly what you're going through.                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Barking to excess
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2003, 10:51:04 AM »
I agree with Gill here and recommend an anti bark collar but watch out the batteries are well expensive!

Have you had to replace your battery Loraine? Dallas has had his since June and he wears it everyday while Im at work and Ive never replaced the battery :- I check it still works by blowing into it as I assumed it would just stop working completely if the battery ran out.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
Barking to excess
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2003, 02:14:37 PM »
I'm sure the neighbours would love two barking dogs!!
Definately will try the aboistop- otherwise it'll be a concrete sald over the dog door (we don't have wheelie bins- Lancaster is strangely backwards in it's approach to rubbish!!!)
Thanks                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry