Author Topic: is she too old to start using a crate?  (Read 3386 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
is she too old to start using a crate?
« on: September 08, 2003, 07:36:23 PM »
Hi Folks,

Tris and I have been having problems with Millie during the night. She started waking us up at 4:00am ish every morning and wouldn't settle back down to sleep.
We have easily remedied this by putting her downstairs to sleep during the summer - she was fine - very pleased to see us in the morning, but she didn't cry once.
However with winter approaching the nights are fast becoming chilly, and because we are skin flints  ;D  ;D we will only put a heater on in the room we are in. Consequently the heating isn't on and downstairs gets a bit nippy (I went down the other morning whilst I was ill to get a drink and Millie was actually shivering!!  :(  :'(
Obviously I insisted she come upstairs, but lo and behold she has slowly started becoming a pest in the morning again - she just seems to wake up earlier and earlier.
So I was thinking of buying a crate for her to go in - this way she would be with us and in the warmth but not able to bounce on the bed and lick us! She's 10 months old now - she is too old to "train" to sleep in a crate? What might the pyscological effects on her be? would she think we were being mean to her?  ???                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 08:00:09 PM »
I actually didnt start introducing a crate to Vegas until he was about Millies age and he now chooses to go into his during the day for a bit of peace ::) Although, he doesnt sleep in his(he's too good at keeping mummys feet warm) I know he would settle down no problem. I started by putting a blanket and a couple of toys in for him, thraeding some through the bars so they were hanging down from the roof. I then started giving him his meals in it so that he had a positive association with it. Then I would close the door while he was eating his meal and then opening it once he was finished but only if he was quiet. Dallas sleeps in his crate beside my bed and he now when i say, dally go to bed, off he pops ;D He gets a blanket over his as it helps settle him down. One thing I did have to do with Dallas in the first few days was when he became whingey during the night, I just stuck my finger in the crate for a few minutes which reassured him that i was still there.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 11:52:38 AM »
Hi Kellyp
Poor little Millie shivering ;D I'd say go for the crate too - she will quickly learn it is her little den and it will solve your problem ???
 :D Linda                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 01:31:05 PM »
I too advocate the crate ;D It's a great way of allowing your dog into your room without giving them the bed ;D

I've heard many stories of older puppies and older dogs taking to crates like ducks to water. Make it nice for her and very much her place and she'll be as happy as Larry ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 08:54:16 PM »
well the crate has arrived .. I have put one of her many purple blankets and one of her cushins into it (yes the dog has her own cushions  ::) ) I also put another blanket over the top of it to make it "den" like - she's gone in and out and we locked her in for about 10 minutes.. praising her the whole time and giving treats .. she just sniffed about in there and then sat down!

fingers crossed she will be ok tonight .. she didn't cry earlier... we even both left the room   :)  :-                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 09:04:19 PM »
Fingers crossed kelly, hope she settles for you. :)

purple cushions  very royal. ;)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 02:44:46 PM »
So how did she do?                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 05:36:32 PM »
Well she was very good last night .. she didn't cry once! Although she did get restless at about 5:30ish .. normal time, she settled again and was restless about an hour later. The restlessness caused the plastic tray to rattle against the cage though.. which was surprisingly loud! So I have improvised and put a towel underneath it to muffle the noise.
only thing is she was very very excited to be let out this morning ... it was like we'd been out all day and come home excitement level - is this normal / ok ?
Should we make a big fuss of her when she comes out or just ignore her and act "normal" (or as normal as possible  ;D  ;D )

She has been in and out of it this afternoon whilst we've been upstairs, and will go in when told to "go to bed" and will stay in there with the door open if you tell her too - and I put her in there for 10 mins with the door shut whilst I did a bit of ironing. TBH she's been so good in it I think my breeder must have been putting her in one  ???  :-                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 05:52:44 PM »
Will you be taking her crate to your open show Kelly. When i took Butty to SKC all the dogs where benched in crates. I took a blanket to cover her crate in case she fretted when she couldn't see me ;) ::) It did work actually she was good as gold :D                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 08:19:00 PM »
Hi Gilly - I am thinking about takin gthe crate - even just as somewhere to put her when we are not in the ring - but the show itself is unbenched .. so I guess its a case of get there early to grab a space!  :) I think I will take a blanket aswell though if I do take her crate  ;) thanks for the tip                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 10:47:05 PM »
I would def take your crate Kelly  ;) it also doubles up as a grooming table if you haven't got one...take a large rubber car mat or something similar to sit on top, and you can prepare her for the show ;)