Author Topic: STRESSFUL WALKIES!  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Jen

• Site Member
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« on: September 25, 2003, 04:15:06 PM »
I hope someone from the forum can throw some light onto Montys recent behaviour during walks as it's starting to get on my nerves now >:(
There are occasions, which are becoming more frequent, when he spots another dog - when he's on the lead and he goes mad....barking, whining and pulling frantically to get to them.  :o This is really strange - because, when off the lead - he'll run to greet other dogs - but is still pretty good with recall after he's said hello!!!! :- - This is a nightmare for me - as usually I have a child attached to the other hand.....he's even nearly blindly pulled the pushchair over....nothing I say stops him until the other dog goes out of sight.... >:(    Well today just took the biscuit......for some reason - he took a dislike to a lady and little girl on the opposite side of the road...not a dog in sight :o - I was pulling like mad one way - and he the other - barking and whining at this poor woman.......I just don't know where this behaviour has come from - those who met us on Sunday(at the L/SE meet) will know that Monty is a right softy and is more likely to roll infront of a stranger than attack them!
I am wondering if it's a "on the lead thing" or maybe to do with his age, like a protective thing.......but I just don't know how to deal with it as he refuses to listen during these spells of madness........and it's getting to the satge now where I am reluctant to take him out if I have the kids to watch too......which is a shame for all of us!  ANY IDEAS? :-                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 04:23:55 PM »
Oh Jen - what a naughtly Monty. I haven't got any advice I'm afrais - I know - useless ::) But I'm sure one of the other will be able to help.

Do you taking to any training classess?

Let us know how he gets on and keep smiling (even if it through gritted teeth!)                    
Anita

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 04:39:57 PM »
aaw Jen - poor you. You want walkies to be nice times don't you, and when they're like this you just don't enjoy them :(

I think it probably is a "being on the lead" thing, also prob to do with his age, thinks he's a big tough man - you know the thing ;)but he's got to learn that this behaviour will not do.

I think you need to spend some one to one training, without children. Keeping him on the lead, approach other people, children and dogs and walk briskly and brightly past, chivvying him along, use liver cake, I recall Monty likes it ;D, to bring his attention to you. Make him always walk to heel on the lead. Give him gentle praise when he's walked past nicely and firm no's and more chivvying when he's looking dodgy. Try not to do the natural thing, ie reassurnace, sshing etc as that reinforces that he has something to worry about. If you are bright and confident and show him you are in control, then he'll be more comfortable.

Then try introducing children and the buggy. I'd start with an empty buggy so that you don't have to think about the unthinkable happening. If an empty buggy goes over, no harm done.

I used to have this with Jasper and I used to get upset as I felt so embarrassed. I did all the above, only without the buggy - past that stage ;D, and before I'd even realised it, he'd stopped taking any notice of passers by. He will occassionally make to bark and mess about, but a sharp pull on the half check and a firm no, gets him back to me ;D

Good luck and give him a "don't be a naughty boy" hug from me and the boys send "good lad" "keep it up" licks :- sorry :-                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Karen

• Site Member
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 02:41:08 PM »
Naughty little MontyMoo!!!! Would never had imagined he'd be like that after meeting him last weekend! What  Pammy is suggesting sounds perfect and I'm sure you'll crack the problem in no time! Good luck ;)                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx

Offline Jen

• Site Member
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 02:53:57 PM »
Would never had imagined he'd be like that after meeting him last weekend!

::)I know the little b*gg*r had you all fooled ;) - actually - that's why I'm a bit surprised, cos it is out of character for him :-                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Hel

• Site Member
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 06:32:44 PM »
I am having a similar problem to you with a much older rescue (Pip). Pip has always pulled like a train on a short lead but, since both Pip and Fletch were attacked by an akita recently, Pip has started barking at other dogs and people - Fletch doesn't really care but joins in anyway.  Pip is still fine with people and other dogs when on a long lead (he can't go off lead unless in a secure field as he gets a scent and is off).

To solve the pulling problem, I bought a harness last week.  I now have a different dog - no pulling at all, even when he's barking at dogs and people.

To solve the barking problem (which is mainly fear after the attack), I am starting to take him for walks on his own - just so that he and I have full attention from each other and use treats to distract and reward him.  I've also bought a clicker which I'm using on walks.

Pip is just like your boy - wouldn't hurt another dog or person, but is just feeling rather insecure at the moment as his mum couldn't stop him and Fletch being attacked  :(                    

Offline murphy2003

• Site Member
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 05:28:04 PM »
Hi there

Just read your message and i have to agree with the harness comments, they really are alot better.

We also tried Murphy on a lead and he was the same so we took his toys and let him carry them and also had some treats in my pockets and jingle them about and he soon stop pulling and was wanting to know what i had got.

Try the harness if you can,it is a lot eaiser, mind you it takes me about half an hour to figure out what go's where when i am putting on him. ;D                    
Murphys mum - Amanda

Offline Jen

• Site Member
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 09:13:38 PM »
Hi there

Just read your message and i have to agree with the harness comments, they really are alot better.

Yes - I too use a harness on Monty and have done since it was recommended at puppy training classes yonks ago.....I agree with you too - he really doesn't pull half as much when he has it on.  I've been watching him closer since posting this thread to see if I can pick a pattern.....it's def not everyone he gets funny with.....it seems to be all dogs/some people who walk on the OTHER side of the road or footpath.....if he spots a dog who is walking by him on the SAME side- apart from the initial curious pull (well he is a dog!!!) - I encourage him along and he co-operates.......however, I could encourage him til the cows come home when he's having one of his turns and he just totally blanks me in his barking frenzie.... ::) I'd so love to know what on earth is going through that doggie brain of his ::) - mind you......I've thought that on many an occasion......just got to think up a cunning plan to sort this out...and then find the time to put it in place :-                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
STRESSFUL WALKIES!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2003, 07:11:10 PM »
Hi Jen,

We have a similar problem with Millie - but rather than wanting to frighten off other dogs she is just desperate to play and say hello - desperate to the point of nearly strangling herself with her lead shes pulling so hard!   :o In some cases this actually causes a negative response from the poor dog in question, who starts to growl and bare its teeth!
Off the lead she's fine - loves to say hello a quick play and then off on her own business again.

In order to prevent her being like this I have taken to making her sit and wait, whilst gently talking to her and holding a treat in her view to keep her attention on me; firm NOs if she gets too excited and a treat when the dog has gone past - I'm not sure if this is right or not  ::)  :-
 the thing is - I want her to say hello to other dogs, but I don't want her to get soo excited about the prospect

Any ideas anyone please?                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk