Author Topic: Growling  (Read 2584 times)

Anonymous

Growling
« on: October 14, 2003, 12:33:05 AM »
Hi

Indie is 5 1/2 months now, and has recently started to do something that is beginning to concern me ???  She likes to steal things, anything, empty yoghurt pots, bobble, empty toilet rolls, tissues, socks you name it if she can carry it she nicks it!  Then she whizzes round the back of the couch with the nicked item, I have twice now put my hand down and got hold of her to retrieve the item and she has growled at me,  :o  she does wag her tail when she does this, but I am getting a tad worried, as she does sound like she means business and she is beginning to think noone else should be behind the couch, as she has a whole load of stash there ::)

I want to nip this in the bud SHARPISH I know it may just be a game to her, but I would rather not encourage it!
I have been saying NO to her in a firm voice and she does leave go, but then stays behind the couch until she thinks I have forgotten about it :-  Who says cockers arent very intelligent ;)

Any solutions to try and end this behaviour?

Emma and Indie Grrrrrrrrr                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Growling
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 09:52:06 AM »
I don't think this is too much to worry about, she is just getting older & trying it on a bit ;) I would try & rig up something so that she can't hide behind the sofa though - you'll probably find this solves the problem quite quickly :)                    
Jane

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Growling
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 10:01:39 AM »
Emma

We had this with Phoebe and it was definitely a phase. She sometimes does it now if she's excited but its not agressive. I think its part of her being vocal and saying 'some and play then - I'm really having fun'. She also does a muffled bark!

She doesn it more if you play in the garden but never while she's out on a walk.

Keep using the No and she'll soon get the message that its not acceptable.

Anita and Hoppity ;)                    
Anita

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Growling
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 11:53:21 AM »
Sounds very familiar...I blockaded one of my sofas with a magazine at one end and a plant pot at the other ;D

Agree with others....continue with the firm 'NO' just to make sure she knows who's boss                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline PennyB

Growling
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 01:26:33 AM »
Thieving and cockers go well together. Ruby is so stubborn though that a firm no never works but sad to say I've stooped down to her level and I growled at her one day and lo and behold it works (only used if she growls at me for whatever the reason—usually thieving or overexcitement). I know that this is not really conventional but a friend of mine who has Welsh terriers does the same and hey they're just as stubborn as cockers.

Thankfully, Wilf at 18 weeks responds to the 'no' (before I go completely mad).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!