Author Topic: Jumping Up  (Read 3661 times)

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« on: October 29, 2003, 05:50:44 PM »
Hi all

Abby has started to jump up and paw me and its really starting to P@~s me off. She runs around the garden digging and has the filthiest paws then loves to come in and jump all over me before I go to work.

I took her for a walk tonight and she was running like mad (Its raining and a bit muddy on the grass) and she kept charging towards me and then jumping all over me, to say i am filthy is an understatement. She is now confined to the kitchen and feeling sorry for herself (she also decided to have a little paddle in the stream). Its bath time AGAIN when my other half gets home....

Does anyone have any tips to stop her doing this, I shout at her to get down but this is attention so its not likely to stop if I continue doing that.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated  :)                    

Anonymous

Jumping Up
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 06:08:17 PM »
Hi Garry

I am having the same problem with Indie at the moment ::) Its a cocker thing!!  I tend to ignore her and turn away from her, she soon gets fed up and then I stroke her :)  It can be more difficult whilst they are out on a walk or having a run on the field, as I think they can forget themselves :o

You could maybe try the clicker method of training too, its not an overnight solution as with everything it takes time and patience, but if you can just do a little bit each day, Abby will soon get the message and begin to understand that jumping is just not acceptable ;)

Hope this is some help to you, as I said I am going through this with Indie so I will let you know how things are going in a couple of weeks :)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Jumping Up
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 07:33:17 PM »
I think the ignoring is the most popular way of dealing with this problem. Obviously to begin with, she will continue to jump until she understands what is required of her so you will just have to grit your teeth and bear it for a little while ;) Basically, when she jumps up, just turn around, head held high and arms folded until she is sitting and or/calmed down at least. Then you can praise her. She wil probably try and jump up at you straight away again but just stay calm ;) and repeat the procedure. She will get the hang of it eventually but like all things, it does take a little time and patience ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Jumping Up
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 07:36:14 PM »
I agree with Gill. Turning away, looking away, folding your arms and ignoring her until she's down does work. Don't forget to give her gentle praise when she is sitting or has all four feet on the ground ;D

I found fairly quick results with this method, ie within a few days began to see improvements so good luck ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Jumping Up
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 10:58:37 PM »
I can only echo what the others have said  ;) Butty LOVES jumping up  ::) on anybody and anything and it can be a tad annoying especially when your ready to go out.
I used the ignore method and it does seem to work, now she will sit for me to pet her rather than jump up to get the attention. If she sits i praise her...but if she starts to jump up I take my hand away immediately and ask her to sit, she seems to have picked this up really well.
The only other problem is asking visitors to the house to do the same ::) making her sit and then pet her, otherwise they get dived on by a speeding cocker, not alot of fun when they are sitting with a nice cup of hot tea in their hand  :-X

Gilly                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Jumping Up
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 09:10:45 AM »
I agree with whats already been said. Phoebe does the jumping up as well and if you ignore her she gets the message. Its quite funny when we've been out and she's so excited but has to sit. She somehow manages to waggle backwards.

When you're out try making her come to you and sit for a toy (ball) or a treat. That may help to calm her and stop jumping.

The hardest thing is getting other people to do it though ::)                    
Anita

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 09:23:14 AM »

The hardest thing is getting other people to do it though ::)

your right there Anita, when were out with Nell!! and ask people to ignore her  ??? the answer usualy is!! oh!! its alright, i don,t mind.... And then when she does jump up all 4 half stone of her,  :o and covered in mud they pull a face. ::)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 06:45:33 PM »
The only other problem is asking visitors to the house to do the same ::) making her sit and then pet her, otherwise they get dived on by a speeding cocker, not alot of fun when they are sitting with a nice cup of hot tea in their hand  :-X

I do the same Gilly, and say "ignore him and he won't jump"  - it is really hard to be consistant especially with the children too - as they love Monty jumping over them.... I trained Monty with the ignoring thing - but also added the "down" command, I did this really so that the children could say it to Monty if he get's a bit crazy when he plays with them.  If Monty jumps up me when he's excited or I come in - really, all I have to do now, is not look at him and then he bum-shuffles up to me, trembling - if he goes to jump I just have to say "down" and look away......usually does the trick. ;) ;D                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 08:20:13 PM »
Morgan's not too bad for jumping- when we're out on walks there are too many other intersting things.  This, I am glad of as I'd be mortified if he jumped on a stranger with muddy paws.

He does get very excited and jumps about when he sees the lead coming out of the cupboard.  He knows he has to sit before the lead goes on and we get going but he seems torn between what he knows he has to do and the excitement of going walkies.  This sometimes results in him taking a run and launching himself at me - I end up with a leg full of claw shaped briuses  ::).  Hasn't happened often but boy is it sore when you're not expecting it  :-X :o ;D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline gerry

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 10:02:27 PM »
I'm afraid I have a serial jumper too and we are working very hard to stop him - especially now the weather has changed! ;)

Try taking a step backwards when he is about to jump up - this seems to work with Rigsby in a controlled situation.

It is very hard to keep all your good work up when everytime you're out people say they dont mind - but I guess that will soon change when they see those wet feet.  I have started putting Rigs on the lead when we see people approaching to stop him launching himself at them, he seems to be fine until someone talks to him  :P

We had a very embarassing example in the summer - after emerging from a lake he ran up to a man sitting at the side and ran up his back and jumped off his head!  thankfully, he saw the funny side, but I nearly died!  It seems to be his party piece as he did it to my son Henry on the beach this year too - he was bending over digging in the sand when Rigs came out of the sea and jumped up and ran up his back and off his head!

Cockers are such people dogs they just want to be near/on you! ;D  I'm sure he's attached to me with velcro half the time!                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Jumping Up
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 10:11:02 AM »
TEXT                    
Anita