Author Topic: Dog Borstal  (Read 9793 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Dog Borstal
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2007, 08:58:56 PM »
i agree u shouldn't even us e a water pistol as its  negative reinforcement and dogs learn quicker by positive reinforcement but if you have tried loads of other things to stop them barking an it doesnt work you might have to resort to desperate measures.

It just means you haven't found the right positive method that works - I hate to be beaten and would consider it a challenge  ;)
Looks like you should post Daisy to Rachel then Cazzie  :shades:  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »
i agree u shouldn't even us e a water pistol as its  negative reinforcement and dogs learn quicker by positive reinforcement but if you have tried loads of other things to stop them barking an it doesnt work you might have to resort to desperate measures.

It just means you haven't found the right positive method that works - I hate to be beaten and would consider it a challenge  ;)

Not yet - I've only had Bonnee 7 weeks  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline tinstaafl

• Site Member
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2007, 12:36:04 PM »
aaarrrgghh, didn't realise this was turning into a monster thread.

Just an update, the BBC have given what appears to be a stock response, "all facilities checked by a vet", blah, "trainers are very experienced", yawn, blah, etc. So it looks like I'll have to take it to the next step.

Just to answser a couple of responses here (and it's pleasing to see proper trainers feel the same way), my main issues are as follows:

1. The dog had a simple barking problem. There are plenty of positive techniques around that can be used to stop this behaviour and it seemed obvious to me (in the context of the rest of the program) that this particular "technique" was chosen to reinforce the trainer's "hard-man" attitude and because it made better television. Who wants to watch six weeks of distraction techniques when throwing a glass of water in a dog's face can be far more entertaining? Surely a real trainer would try less aggressive methods first?

2. Whether or not the technique was correct is irrelevant because loads of intellectually-challenged viewers are now going to think that they can cure all their dog's problems by drenching them in water. The program makers need to take a bit more responsibilty for what they show.

Simon

Cazzie

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »

No Id never get her back  :005: