Author Topic: Moss and his water pistol!!!!  (Read 2088 times)

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
Moss and his water pistol!!!!
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »
Hi guys,
now Moss is my first male dog, so there are a few tricks he can play that Bella never could, so I haven't come across this behavior before!  ::)
Basically I have two house mates both of whom are dog friendly men.
When I have been out of the house and they have tried to let Moss out of the back door to have a wee, what Moss has decided to do is refuse to go out and promptly turn over onto his back and pee (tail still wagging) and then get up and skip off in a very zippy way. The boys didn't raise their voices with him or move towards Moss when they asked him to go outside for a wee. I thought it might be that Moss is frightened of or intimidated by the boys, but they've not done anything to warrant it at all, if anything I'm the law enforcing Boss to Moss - the boys spoil him rotten!
Tonight Moss came over to one of my house mates and jumped up, my house mate pushed Moss off and said 'down' and Moss promptly spun over onto his back and weed on him  :o and then skittered around the sitting room in a very excited manner. Moss never behaves like this with me, ever. and I am much more firm with him in tone of voice. I have no problem asking him to go outside for the loo, and I can tell him off and he won't roll onto his back.
Is this behavior a weird cheeky way of Moss telling the boys that he's the boss and can do what he likes? The boys need to let Moss know that he can't get away with this sort of behavior, but  how to best go about it?! I don't know what has started this behavior off and I don't want to do something that'll make it worse.
Any help on this matter would be wonderful  :blink:

Best wishes

Mary xx

Cazzie

Re: Moss and his water pistol!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 11:35:57 PM »
No real advice but I have certainly found that some dogs do behave like this in the presence of men  :-\

One of the wee cockers up at the kennels also does this with excitement whe he see's me and its now got to the point that when I go up and he knows im there, he has to be let out to see me as he squirts all over the kennel  :005:

Its something that they will grow out of and is quite common in young dogs of all breeds  :luv: :luv:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:12:13 AM »
A wagging tail is not always a sign of "happiness" - and combined with the other behaviour may be a sign of insecurity or nervousness  :-\

Although they may not have done anything directly - it is possible that something has happened that has caused Moss to associate one or both of your housemates with something unpleasant - perhaps they were fussing him when a particularly loud firework went off, for instance?   :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:45:57 AM »
Right I think plan of action will be,
1). for the boys to feed Moss his meals for the next few days so that they build up some brownie points with Moss  :D
2). for the boys to have a treat on them when they ask Moss to go outside to the loo so that they can treat Moss if he goes outside and reinforce the good behaviour
3). If Moss rolls onto his back and wees I think the boys should pick him up and take him outside with them and give him the 'hurry up' command, and treat if he performs properly.
4) I will also treat Moss when he goes to the loo outside when he's with me so that there's consistency.
5) I will also ask everyone who comes into the house, be it the boys or friends, to ignore Moss until they've said hello to everyone else and Moss has calmed down (so as to not fuel Moss's excitableness)

How does that sound?

Hi Cazzie,
Moss isn't like this with the men in my family and has only just started these performances in the last couple of weeks, so I'm inclined to think that it's a learned behaviour? It might well be a growing up phase thing too, but I'd like to nip it in the bud if at all possible  :police:

Best wishes

Mary xx

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 08:11:50 PM »
Hi chaps,
Just to give an update on Moss.
His 'water pistol' phase is over!  :lol: It was just like Cazzie said, an odd phase and something he'd grow out of, I'm so pleased  :D
I've now introduced him to the whistle in training, which is great as he's been very responsive and sits at a distance on one pip and comes to me on two pips.  :luv:
I couldn't ask for a more wonderful little friend  :-*

Mary x

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:15:49 PM »
Mary,you need to let me know your secret in training  :shades:

Im hopeless at training Lady to anything like that,its not her its me , ph34r

what whisle do you use?

Clare x

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:43:51 PM »
Hi Clare,
I use an ACME 210.5
Introduce a hand signal when you ask Lady to sit. I use my right hand held up in the air and say sit. Once this is learnt by Lady you can get her to sit by just raising your right hand when she's focused on you. Once these steps are perfect introduce the whistle. Start off with Lady close to you and say sit and raise your hand, as Lady reacts pip once on the whistle. She will look baffled by the whistle but she will be sat because she recognises the other commands you used. Praise her. Then repeat this a few times, and praise every time she has her bottom on the floor. Soon she will associate the pip on the whistle as part of the sit command. Then stop saying sit and just use the hand signal with the pip on the whistle. Give her a lot of praise when she sits. If at any stage she gets confused and doesn't sit, simply go back to the stage before where you are confident she understands the commands and work on this part until it is solid. I hope this helps!  :D

For re-call I initially call the dogs name and pat my side as well as crouch down. I also treat if necessary, but praise is usually good enough. Then when the dog is consistently coming to me I introduce the whistle. I call the dogs name and pat my side. As soon as the dog starts to come towards me I pip twice on the whistle. If this baffles the dog I encourage it to carry on coming to me by continuing to pat my side and call its name. After the dog gets used to the two pips being part of the signal to return to me I stop calling its name and simply pip twice and pat my side. When the dog returns for this I reward it with a treat and give it lots of praise.

To make sure your dog doesn't become bored with the training, break up the sessions into 10 minute bursts with lots of playing and games in between.  :blink:

Good luck!

Mary xx

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Im glad he's stopped it  :D , wee baby  :luv: , kind of cute the innocent wee soles that they are  :luv:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 11:02:37 PM »
Im glad he's stopped it  :D , wee baby  :luv: , kind of cute the innocent wee soles that they are  :luv:

Quite literally a "wee" baby  :005:

Dunbarney???!!  :huh:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 12:54:18 AM »
Thanks Mary  ;)

Great advise ;)

Will give it a go with the hand signals first ;)

where did you get your whistle ;) ph34r

sounds so personal :embarassed: :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 08:21:29 AM »

Quite literally a "wee" baby  :005:

Dunbarney???!!  :huh:

Oh yes ive changed my COL name as i was fed up with it as i get called it every day so fancied a change, its ok you all know who I am im not in hiding :005:

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 04:58:07 PM »
Hi Clare,
I got my whistle from a local country supplies store. I've just had a quick look on ebay though and it seems that there are a few on there at a decent price, so that might be the best place for you to look for one. Hope those hand signals are going well  :D

Best wishes

Mary xx

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 07:39:58 PM »
Hi Clare,
I got my whistle from a local country supplies store. I've just had a quick look on ebay though and it seems that there are a few on there at a decent price, so that might be the best place for you to look for one. Hope those hand signals are going well  :D

Best wishes

Mary xx

Thanks for that Mary will check that out ;)

Got another problem >:(

She is a nightmare on the lead >:D

As we normally take her to the park and she can run about to her hearts content :shades:
which could be for hours >:(
shes not used to the lead ,she just pulls,walks in front,i think shes confused :shades:
I know its our fault but what would you suggest ?

Thankd again,
Clare x ;)

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 08:14:13 PM »
Hi Clare,
Pulling on the lead is something that spaniels are very good at! I think it's because they're led around by their noses and when a dog has its head down to the floor it's much easier for it to get it's body weight behind a nice strong pulling action!  ph34r
With both Bella and Moss I started lead work off with them when they were very young so that they couldn't develop bad habits. However, the trick is just to be very consistent and patient.
Before we go for a walk I get the dog to sit so that I can put its lead on. If the dog is wiggling everywhere with excitement or has pre empted my actions and dashed to the front door etc.. then I put the lead away and busy myself with something else for a minute or two, then I try again with asking the dog to sit calmly. Only when the dog sits and waits in a relatively relaxed state will I put the lead on it and leave the house. The first step with a dog that pulls is to make sure that its not extremely excited and worked up about its walk before you've even left the house, as this will result in the dog not listening to you and will inevitably pull like a train to get where it wants to go on its own terms and adgenda.
So once you've left the house and the dog is calm, ask it to sit next to you and if it does this then treat it. This is to make sure the dog still realises that you're part of the walk too and isn't completely distracted by the sights and smells etc..
The next bit is the tough bit. As soon as you set off from the sit, say 'heel' is a happy, friendly voice and pat your side once or twice. Make sure you have the lead at a uniform length and so that it is only a little slack. As soon as the dog marches in front, stop immediately holding the lead firmly. The lead will stop the dog from continuing its merry march, and what you say is 'ah ah' and bring your dog gently back to a sitting position by your left leg. Then start again and repeat the process. Your dog will soon learn that walking out in front will get it nowhere and that walking beside you means that you get to the park quicker and it's more pleasant etc... Treats can also be used to reinforce the good behaviour by holding a treat down at your side and giving it to the dog when its walking close in to your leg.
I hope this all makes sense!  :shades:

I personally sometimes opt for using a check chain to refine the heeled position or if I know that we will be walking in a very tempting area. The dog has to understand that the rules stay the same regardless of where we are and I find a check chain very good for reinforcing the rules that the dog should now know and understand well. I would never use a check chain on a persistently pulling dog as it would serve no use and would simply strangle the poor thing. The basics have to be consistently, kindly and repetitively taught to the dog to get it to heel, a check chain doesn't teach a dog to heel but it can be used to remind a dog that it should be heeling. The use of check chains is slightly controversial, so I wouldn't advise that you use one on Lady untill after you've researched them and understand how to use them properly and decided if its the right thing for your dog. I do think that they are a useful training tool if used correctly and if they are not used on all walks as a substitute collar as this completely defeats the point of them.

Good luck with getting Lady to walk to heel on lead  :D She's a bright little button so I'm sure she'll pick it up very quickly, she might try and push you though!!  :police:

Best wishes

Mary xx 

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 11:37:06 PM »
Thanks again Mary  ;)

hey i think you should become a dog traine ;)r,you know what your talking about :angel:
the new dog whisperer :005:

Ill give that a go too,and let you know how we both go ;)

cheers,
Clare and Lady x ;)