Author Topic: im disscusted at my dog  (Read 2679 times)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
im disscusted at my dog
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »
i cant believe what ive just witnessed, i took my 2 over the beach for a good run, as others will know max is a terrible scavenger and has lately had to wear a muzzle while out, but when we are over the beach i take it off as there is nothing much he seems to find :shades:

untill that is he found a dead seagull on the shore ph34r he grabbed it and run, i could not get near him to get it off him and he proceeded to rip it to bits and eat it :o

every time i tried to get near him he took his half eaten catch and done a runner, in the end i had to throw things at him to try to get him to move away from it :embarassed: i had no other choice i wasnt going to stand there and let him eat it all ::)

i threw a stick and managed to get him to move away enough for me to stand guard over the bird, but ive never seen him like this before he was like a wild thing possessed >:D

has anyone else ever encountered this  :-\

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
Re: im disscusted at my dog
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »
Hello Lisa,
Not with a seagull, but a dead mole type creature. I am afraid what is horrible to us is just food to them, it's BARF diet in its purest form!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »
It can be a bit of a shock to see our pets behaving in this way, but I'm not sure I agree with your reaction; all you have dome is taught him to run further away when he gets something next time so you can't thrown things at him  ph34r  There really is no reason to be disgusted - it is how dogs have fed themselves for thousands of years....... :-\

Molo doesn't like dead things, but Bonnee will happily tuck in to rabbits, mice, pigeons and other carrion she finds. 
Edited to add: the risk with mice/rats is that they are poisoned - so I do try and prevent this  ::)

A lot of people feed their dogs a raw diet, which is exactly that - raw meat and bones...... ;)

Some dogs will recall away from tasty treats like this; but for others there literally isn't anything more rewarding than a free-range meal  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »
i had to get it off him he was runing towards a very busy main road, i tryed to circle round him and distract him with sticks and by calling him but in the end i felt i had no choice but to throw the stick at him, it shocked him enough to make him move away from the bird, for me to then take control of the situation, i could not stand there and wait for him to munch his way thru a whole seagull, as it was getting dark and i was very scared he might get spooked and run into the main road he was just by :huh:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »
Natural to them or not, I think I would have done the same thing.  ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »
Join the club  :005: Mine are dreadful especially Goose, I had to pull a whole rabbit skin that he had half swallowed out with my bare hands (YUK)  :005: Their fav is dead slamon kelts and the smell is the worst ive ever smelt  :005:

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
Natural to them or not, I think I would have done the same thing.  ;)

Yep not sure I could have stood back and let Poppy tuck in  :005:  Urrrghhh.....  At least it wasn't a condom which is the only thing that Poppy has never done "Drop it" for..... Still feel a bit sick thinking about it....

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 08:58:18 PM »
At least it wasn't a condom which is the only thing that Poppy has never done "Drop it" for..... Still feel a bit sick thinking about it....

Agh....gross!!

Stanley ate a very dead seagull he found on the beach once; he then proceeded to throw it up in the back of the car on the way home.......I couldn't get the smell out of the car for months!!! >:(
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Cazzie

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »
If dogs can eat their own Poo, then im afraid they can eat anything  :005: :005:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:06:12 PM »
Oooooh I feel really ill now after reading this thread  :P :P :P
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
At least it wasn't a condom which is the only thing that Poppy has never done "Drop it" for..... Still feel a bit sick thinking about it....

Agh....gross!!

Stanley ate a very dead seagull he found on the beach once; he then proceeded to throw it up in the back of the car on the way home.......I couldn't get the smell out of the car for months!!! >:(

snap when i got home there in all its glory was what he had eaten of the gull in the back of my car :o

Offline teapot

• Site Member
  • ~Tia~
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »
Tia found a dead baby bird on the garden. She came to show us what she had then sort of swung it round with her mouth, caught it, munched it, then swallowed it down. We had no chance of getting it off her as it happened so quick and we didn't have a tastier swap on hand. I suppose at least she showed us what she was eating so if there were any ill effects we knew what she had eaten.  :o
As she already has chicken wings we didn't worry too much about the bones as they would have been tiny but we did ask the vet about possible problems. The thing she highlighted was that birds are big carriers of worms so as long as Tia is wormed on a regular basis she should be ok.  ::)
Marie & Tia x

Offline Sian P

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
The only thing I have been unable to get Murphy to leave on command (since he's been trained to do so) was a dead mouse. His jaws clamped shut so I couldn't remove it myself either. But like others have said, he happily eats cat poop too if he's sneaky enough and so I'd rather he ate the mouse!!
Sian & Murphy x

Offline Maggies Muggles

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 03:15:55 PM »
Our's is a dreadful scavenger too. I wish there was something we could do to get her to drop the really gross things but when she picks them up and we make it clear that she should "leave" them, she simply gulps whatever it is down faster (ie before we can get to her).

The best advice I have been given is to try to read the ground ahead of them (not always possible) and if there is something disgusting ahead, either steer the dog away on the lead or tempt them away with another treat. This is much easier said than done, especially when walking off the lead.

At home, we have had to replace all of our bins with pedal bins - I won't mention on a public forum specifically what Maggie has nicked and eaten from our bins but the investment in the pedal bins has been well worth it.

We've also tried using a muzzle but Maggie finds a way of shaking it loose within about 20 seconds.

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »
we went to the beach again this morning i kept max on the lead untill we was well past where he found and ate the bird ph34r

he was well behaved this morning for once ::)