Author Topic: Crazy about the washing machine!  (Read 543 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Crazy about the washing machine!
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:12:41 PM »
I have a nightmare with Rio everytime I put the washer on....I've done everything to try and stop her with absolutely no success.

She waits for the washer to 'click' off - then starts screeching....while trying to empty the washer with me.

Then she jumps out the back door, still making this horrific noise, runs down the garden and stands and looks at the clothes prop.

I usually use the rotary line, but if I dare to hang anything on the other line and use the prop, shes biting the bottom of it.....then when its on the line shes ripping up the grass around the bottom of the prop!!

I've tried treats; discipline; shouting; and the only thing that works is shutting her in another room -
then shes howling to get to the garden.

Some days its really funny..(shouldn't say that, its really bad behaviour!) but its got to stop, so if anyone else has another crazy lunatic like mine who loves the washer and clothes prop - any advice would be very welcome!!

Thanks Julie

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
Re: Crazy about the washing machine!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »
Mali loves the washer or more to the point, she loves stealing things from the washer and running into the garden with them  >:(

Maybe a tumble drier is in order  :lol2:
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »

Maybe you are right GinnyB!! lets both get a tumble drier and problem solved.  Glad to hear some one else has a nutter like mine.........xx

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »

If you want to put a stop to this, you need a consistent approach - not just "trying everything".  And if sometimes you react as though it's funny Rio really isn't going to know what is expected of her -sometimes it makes mummy happy, other times I get shouted at....  :-\

I do speak from experience on this, as we initially thought it quite amusing that Honey would take the socks off the airer!!! Then it became less amusing as she was doing damage to socks - so we'd try and get them off her (prompting a huge game of chase!!!  ::) ).
So we realised something had to change.  We made the laundry harder to get to... stopped chasing her and started working on a reliable "give" command.  I recal one evening when she had figured out how to get to the socks when she was just pulling them off one by one in a effort to prompt a game of chase - we ignored this (and the barks of "look what I'm doing") and she got bored - when we looked there was a pile of about 12 socks lying next to the airer!!!  She is still very interested in laundry, but much better than she was!!

As Rio is so focussed on the laundry routine, it might be better to start by insisting on calm behaviour while it is going on.  Ask Rio to sit before you open the washing machine door, and don't open it until she is sitting quietly.  At every stage stop dead the second she becomes over excited - ask her to sit and don't carry on until she is sitting quietly again.  I would try not to use the line and prop for a while, so you can concentrate on getting calm behaviour.  Once she is calmer she may be more willing to wait somewhere while you are busy (as the laundry will no longer be a great game) perhaps with a Kong or other yummy but longer lasting treat - Honey will now wonder off to find more interesting things while I am hanging out the laundry (though she always has one eye on me just incase I drop a sock, as that's still too hard to resist!!).
Good luck!!
 :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020