Author Topic: Jumping up  (Read 2152 times)

Offline XKinnieX

• Kinnie x
Jumping up
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »
Our ten month old dog kinnie is a well behavioured dog until it comes to the family sitting down and eating around the table in the kitchen.
He jumps up on the table and continuously wants our food. We have tryed many ways to stop him doing this but nothing is working  :(
Please help. otherwise though he is an angel  :angel: and we all love him loads  :luv:

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
Re: Jumping up
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »
Hello
I hate to say this but you have got a cocker  ;) My two are horrendous and would steal food from my mouth if they got the chance. I tried getting up everytime my two pestered me at meals times and telling them to get to bed but in the end my food would be cold and I would be in a bad mood so I just shut the door now  ph34r
Sorry that wasn't very helpful was it  :005:

Offline XKinnieX

• Kinnie x
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »
Haha well thank you anyway
We will love him all the same even if he jumps up

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:27:06 PM »
we also put Roxy into a different room at meal times although she will just curl up under the table when we are eating or wander about. Not sure what to suggest as she has never fussed us at the table!!

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »
Our 6 month old is never in the same room as us when were eating!! I dont think she knows we eat  :005:

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
Our gang are all either in a different room from us, or crated or in their beds when we eat.... they soon learned not to bother begging from me cos I don't give in (I am the meanie) but they beg from everyone else in the family cos they know they will give in eventually so that is why they can't sit with us when eating as they beg from the others.  I must admit to being a  bit smug from time to time and saying "told you not to feed them scraps when they were younger!!!"
Good luck and be consistent, it will work!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline XKinnieX

• Kinnie x
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
Thanks for this help very usefully.
It would probably be for the best if we kept him in the other room whilst we eat.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 05:26:59 PM »
Same here - Coco is in another room while we eat here too  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »
We have to send both our girls out if they become persistent  >:(  they don't bother me as I never ever give in, but OH does; then he gets cross if they're camped out underneath the table..... ::)

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline poppy1407

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 11:20:12 AM »
yep me too when myself, oh and the children eat the dogs are always put in a different room,I think this is the easiest solution and your dog will get used to it and it will become part of their routine.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »
put your dog on lead, put your foot on the lead so the dog can't jump up and then reward it for lying down with a tasty treat. ;)
It might take a while for the penny to drop but when they learn that lying down gets them something good then they will try that behaviour more often. Then gradually increase the time your dog has to lie down before it gets a reward.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 12:14:14 AM »
I don't know if I do right or wrong, but when we sit down for dinner I give the dogs their big treat of the day..... a hollow bone with dairylea spread thinly inside of it.  It keeps them happy for ages.  They are the type of bone that you buy filled with something or other....so, I have just continued to fill them. 

Hope you manage to resolve your problem.

:luv:

No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »
put your dog on lead, put your foot on the lead so the dog can't jump up and then reward it for lying down with a tasty treat. ;)
It might take a while for the penny to drop but when they learn that lying down gets them something good then they will try that behaviour more often. Then gradually increase the time your dog has to lie down before it gets a reward.
Mark

This is what we do (get me!!). It doesn't work 100% of the time but generally she will lie on the floor while we eat (fixing me with those expectant cocker eyes) and gets rewarded for her efforts eventually.

Offline moola

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 02:48:36 PM »
we've given up with our bundle of fun.  He's a devil  >:D for trying.  Now we pop him in his room.  Our LABRADORS on the other hand, do the eye thing, then drool, but eventually settle down and wait until we've finished.
Roast dinners though are a bit of a push and we do start getting the 'pleading bear' thing which is really very hard to say no to  :luv: :luv: :luv:

I always thought that labs were the dustbins on the dog world but I can see that our cocker pup is leagues ahead!!!
Lab lover who has discovered the dark side that is .... cockers!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 09:34:31 PM »
I'm quite lucky on this one, cos Chloe has never scrounged food. I don't know if the fact that she has never had scraps of human food has anything to do with it, but I can honestly say, that in this one aspect, Chloe is a good girlie  :005:

Mark's advice would be what I would go with  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye