Author Topic: Rescue Cocker with fear agression problems  (Read 1242 times)

Offline x Denise x

• Molly & Joey
Re: Rescue Cocker with fear agression problems
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing.
Have you had help from a behaviourist? The book Emma Parsons Click to Calm Healing the aggressive dog may be useful for you.

I did get a behaviourist in for about 4 months but couldn't afford it any longer. She managed to get Joey to everything she asked of him  but couldn't get past the unpredictable behaviour of people and the mad aggression he show to every kind of dog  but not my other dog. I know it wont happen over night but iv'e had him a good 6 months now and that part of him hasn't changed one bit . But as a New dog i think he has progressed in lots of ways  But he has six years of bad habits to break . If he never left the house again he would be perfect.   Healing and reki might be an avenue i could try. Thank you

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
I wonder if Tellington touch techniques might help him a bit too. It wouldn't be a cure but is a useful tool. Sometimes there are short courses you can go on, or there is a book 'Getting in touch with your dog' by Linda Tellington Jones.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »
Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing.
Have you had help from a behaviourist? The book Emma Parsons Click to Calm Healing the aggressive dog may be useful for you.

I did get a behaviourist in for about 4 months but couldn't afford it any longer. She managed to get Joey to everything she asked of him  but couldn't get past the unpredictable behaviour of people and the mad aggression he show to every kind of dog  but not my other dog. I know it wont happen over night but iv'e had him a good 6 months now and that part of him hasn't changed one bit . But as a New dog i think he has progressed in lots of ways  But he has six years of bad habits to break . If he never left the house again he would be perfect.   Healing and reki might be an avenue i could try. Thank you

I think youv'e 'hit the nail on the head' iyswim  :shades:  6 yrs is a very, very long time in the dog world.  :'(
Another thing that might help is if you could find someone to walk with that has a very laid back, non confrontational dog, that just might help build his confidence & eventually he will realise that not all other dogs are a threat :-\
It may take much, much longer for Joey to begin to be a little more relaxed meeting other dogs & it might be you will just have to manage each individual situation.  :-\
Nina my 5yr old girl doesn't like other dogs (exc. our other 3 in the home) but there are several reasons for that.....she had a couple of scary experiences with other dogs when she was younger & on top of that she has been going blind for many months now, which causes her to be startled with dogs/humans approaching.  :'(  However she will now walk quite happily with a friend's visla, who is a very laid back dog that just ignores her.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline x Denise x

• Molly & Joey
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
I wonder if Tellington touch techniques might help him a bit too. It wouldn't be a cure but is a useful tool. Sometimes there are short courses you can go on, or there is a book 'Getting in touch with your dog' by Linda Tellington Jones.

Never herd of this but will have a read up on it . Thank you. I will Try anything . He is worth trying for, underneath it all he is a good dog.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
It's a way of calming animals. Really simple, just strokes mainly. It helps our Ruby with her car phobia.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 10:21:32 PM »

Never herd of this but will have a read up on it . Thank you. I will Try anything . He is worth trying for, underneath it all he is a good dog.

I have used t-touch quite a bit on Brodie, who can be quite nervous and stressy at times and it really does help her. She loves it too :shades:. I went to a half day workshop about it which really helped me understand it, plus I got a good few tips on how to tell when Brodie is feeling stressed.

He sounds like a lovely dog, it must be quite a scary world for him at the moment :luv:

x In memory of Barney x