Author Topic: What food is best? (m)  (Read 4325 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
What food is best? (m)
« on: October 26, 2003, 03:36:51 PM »
We are waiting for our puppy to come home, and have been researching what type of food is best. I intend to keep his diet the same as the breeders when he is young, and change over very gradually, as advised.

A few of my friends have recommended Burns organic food, obviously the puppy version, which sounds good to me, but I'd like to know what you all recommend?

Shona  ;D                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
What food is best? (m)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 04:14:52 PM »
I think you'll find that there is quite a variation in the foods that are fed by alot of the members of COL.  There was a survey done on here along while back....I'm sure somebody will be able to find it :-

There have been a considerable amount of new members since then though so perhaps it may be something we could do again, what do others think ???

Lottie was always fed on James Wellbeloved for many months.  She then began to get upset tummies which has since been solved by putting her on Naturediet which she loves ;).  (I've not heard of anyone else having a problem with JWB and I would always recommend it even though Lottie seemed to have a problem with it  :-...she always has to be different though ::))                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
What food is best? (m)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 04:40:06 PM »
Hiya Shona,

I would recommend JWB to...although Burns is a good quality food and is particularly good for dogs with allergies etc. Nutro also seems to be a popular choice to.
One piece of advice is if you pick a food try and stick to it and don't try and change if your pup gets picky...a mistake i made which doesn't help with a dog with a poor appetite  ;)
I would advise leaving the food down offered to your pup for about 20 minutes, if it has not been consumed within this time take it away and offer a fresh bowl of food at the next meal time. This way your pup begins to realise that food is on offer for a limited time only and will eat it while the goings good  ;) otherwsie i have found that they seem to get a rather blase attitude which is very annoying  ;) :-X

Good Luck

Gilly                    

Anonymous

What food is best? (m)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 04:56:03 PM »
I would agree with that Gilly :)  Indie is a fussy monkey sometimes.  I have ended up changing her food 4 times so far ::)  I should have known better :- but then when they don't eat you end up trying anything and everything ;)  

She seems settled on the Autarky at the moment, but I do still have to mix it with other things at times, I think we spoilt her troo much from the start, but we love her to bits and can't deny those eyes ;)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
What food is best? (m)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 05:04:34 PM »
I should have known better  but then when they don't eat you end up trying anything and everything  

Its a mistake i have made...although wiht Butty i'm not sure wether it would have made any difference anyway as she has never had a great appetite...NO 2 will get one choice and one choice only as I have learned from this  ::) saying that though i think having 2 makes a difference anyway because of the competition  ;)

Gilly                    

Anonymous

What food is best? (m)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 05:46:35 PM »
NO 2 will get one choice and one choice only as I have learned from this  ::) saying that though i think having 2 makes a difference anyway because of the competition  ;)

Wayyyyhaaaay your planning number 2 as well ;)   What colour are you thinking about?  This will help Butty's appetite as well, with the competetion as you said :D

Emma and Indie                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
What food is best? (m)
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 07:18:11 PM »
Hi Shona,

When we got Millie she was on Eukanuba - however we found out a few things that concerned us about Euk and Millie was also suffering from being quite hyperactive (something which Euk can cause in some dogs, but not necessarily all)
so I switched her to JWB which she loved for about a month ... then she just stopped eating it - she picked at it but never ate much really, I tried just leaving it down for 20 minutes, but she would never eat it all. She is now on Nutro Choice and seems to love it *fingers crossed* - to spice it up we sometimes mix in half a pouch of pedigree moist food pouches (thes ones with gravy and veg in them) which she really loves! :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Tricialane

• Site Member
What food is best? (m)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 07:33:17 PM »
Max has been having JWB since he was about 10 weeks old.  His breeder was not really a fan of 'complete' food and had been feeding him on chicken.

The thing is he has never really seemed to like it that much, We started adding bits of chicken or sausage etc to make it taste better.  Now he will only eat the dried food if there is something added (my fault, I know) and even then he tends to pick out the 'real' food if he can get away with it.  Faced with a bowl of JWB on its own he just walks away in disgust.

I have been thinking of trying him on Autarky to see if there will be any difference with that.

Tricia                    
Tricia

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
What food is best? (m)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2003, 07:59:10 PM »
the saying "making a rod for your back" springs to mind here  ;) I definitely think you should start as you mean to go on Shona  ;) and try not to deviate if possible. If you do want to add some "meat" then thats Ok  or vegetables, but if your going to use meat I would advise something like Naturediet which you can buy from Pets at Home as it is completely natural without added colourings which unfortunately Pedigree does have  :- adn the added colourings etc can make some dogs more hyper  :)

Gilly                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
What food is best? (m)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 09:53:44 AM »
Phoebe is on JWB and we did make it a rule that she never gets anything else - apart from dog biscuits as a reward or as a routine marker (leaving the house etc). She always eats it. ::)

We have been strict with her ;) But when she went to kennels they mixed some meat into her food which I was a bit annoyed about as I thought she would want it once she came home. Luckily she didn't!

I use JWB after reading all the information on the board when we first had Phoebe and wanted to chage her food.                    
Anita

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
What food is best? (m)
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 06:48:38 PM »
We started Fudge out on Purina which was fine but you have to soak it before you give them it. We changed over to Hills because our vet recommended it and gets it to us at non-profit prices (very handy). We had a few upset tummies on the puppy version but fudge has now graduated to adult formula and we are more than pleased with the results- she has calmed down considerably, her stools are smaller and more solid (easier to pick up) and she is a very fit, healthy looking dog.                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry