Author Topic: HOW CAN YOU TELL  (Read 5099 times)

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« on: October 26, 2003, 06:43:14 PM »
Hi

through various threads there is talk of working cockers vs show cockers, I know that the cockers are bred to work but how can you tell by looking at them, just curious.                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 07:11:14 PM »
Hi Garry,

erm basically I think that working type cockers are slightly shorter & longer, with shorter ears and not so much coat. I believe that working cockers have slightly more energy than their showing counter parts (and the showing type are generally lively enough!  ;D )
Take a look at the pictures of Jasper (a liver/chocolate working type cocker ) on the photo gallery - hopefully you should be able to see from his piccies what I mean  ;D  ;D

Of course in field trials either type can compete and can do equally as well  ;D                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 08:33:11 PM »
Working Cockers are very different to the show-type Cocker - they have been bred from different lines for many years now. Have a look at http://www.briarquest.co.uk/ for more photos of Working Cockers & you'll be able to notice the difference straight away. Show-type Cockers are capable of working & some have passed working tests aimed at show-bred dogs but only Working Cockers take part in Field Trials (where a much higher standard & greater speed is required) as far as I know.                    
Jane

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 08:43:15 PM »
sorry - i was thinking of Challenge Certificates not field trials  ::) however once a show type has achieved 3 CCs I believe that they can take part in a field trial .. but only on a particular day or something  ???  :-

Of course I was not suggesting in my reply that working cockers and show cockers come from the same lines .. except way way way way way back of course  ;D I was just trying to give an overall visual difference  :)

once query though .. can working cockers be KC registered? if so do the KC actually distinguish the two types in any way ?  ???                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 08:55:19 PM »
can working cockers be KC registered? if so do the KC actually distinguish the two types in any way ?  ???

Yes to the first part - I know this as my springer is from working lines and she is registered - and I'd say no to the second. To the novice, I dont think there would be any distinction between a KC registered show cocker or one from working lines. Obviously with a bit of research though, you can however tell from someone's affix what type the cocker is.

ps in Europe show-type cockers take part in field trials I believe - I know some of our Scandinavian members successfully show and work (trial) their show-type cockers  :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 10:35:48 PM »
As Mike says both Working & show-type Cockers are all registered by the Kennel Club as "Cocker Spaniels".

If a show-type Cocker gains 3 CCs & also passes the Show Gundog Working Certficate then they are entitled to the title of "Champion" rather than "Show Champion". They still wouldn't enter a Field Trial though nor & no show-type Cockers have gained the title of Field Trial Champion. Its confusing having all these different titles isn't it ;) The situation is the same overseas - certainly some show-type Cockers do work overseas & take part in working tests etc but they do not often compete with Working Cockers in the same competitions from what I understand - perhaps Sara in Denmark could confirm this?                    
Jane

Offline Hel

• Site Member
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 12:08:14 AM »
I've a rehome cocker who is half show and half working.  He is as tall as a show, but much leaner; has the same ears lengthwise but a longer nose; and has no undercoat at all.                    

Offline Anny

• Site Member
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 06:22:25 AM »
Having kept and bred working cockers for many years I feel that the difference between workers and show cockers is getting bigger.  My dogs are k.c. reg and have excellent pedigrees but a lot of people don't recognise them as cockers.  They expect to see something with ears thick and curly and down to their knees and either a heavy coat or a clipped one.  Also the tails on workers are kept longer than show cockers.                    

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 07:05:44 AM »
a few years ago standard cockers (show type) did compete with the working type cockers. The rules in Dk are that you cannot become a field trial champ unles you at least can get a 2'nd in quality on a show and you cannot become a (show) champion unless you have at least a 2'nd prize on a field trial (beginners class). And if you want to breed you still needs at least a 2'nd in quality to get your pups registrered. The owners of the working line cockers didn't like to show their cockers and decided to start their own organization with their own registration. They are no longer recognized by the Danish Kennel Club, and due to that we don't compete with working cockers anymore. :'(

No Danish cocker has ever gained both titles (show and FT). From my knowledges only one english springer. But one of the FT champions are still able to win CQ on shows, and from what I know we might just have our first cocker double champion this year (if she takes two more wins on a FT).  ;D

I've seen both the working type and the show type work. Where the working type works fast, the show type is more slow, but more likely to find all the game.  ;D                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 07:32:08 PM »
Today we had our first double champion in Denmark. With 3 wins in a row, the black and tan bitch Dan L's Return My Tan became field trial champion  ;D She can add this title to all her showtitles DKCH, SCH, SFCH, NordCH, and International champion.  8)

Big congrats to her owner and to her breeder.

Did anyone say that showcockers can't work???  ;)

;D ;D                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
HOW CAN YOU TELL
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2003, 09:52:50 AM »
Wow that's very impressive Sarah!! Incidentally, I trim a show-type Cocker who is also black & tan & is a brilliant working dog too - when her owners first trained her, the other gundog owners were very sceptical but this bitch is now much in demand in the shooting season so it shows the show Cockers can still do it :)                    
Jane