Author Topic: Buying for our puppy  (Read 4357 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« on: October 31, 2003, 09:54:34 AM »
We are getting our puppy in three weeks, and I have been buying a few bits and pieces. I have a fleecy blanket, a bed, a crate for travelling, and bowls. I also got a soft leather puppy collar to get him used to wearing one,loads of toys, Burns puppy food (I'll keep his diet the same changing gradually), three types of brushes, a harness for training eventually, and puppy pads in case of accidents.

What I'd like to know is if I need anything else, and if there is something you recommend I should get?

I've also got his insurance in place starting at the right time.

Thanks                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline jackofclubs

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 10:34:36 AM »
Hi!

My boy is only just over a year old, so I still remember the puppy stage well.  

Sounds like you're better prepared than I was, but if I could suggest anything else it would be as follows-

- disinfectant spray for cleaning up accidents/carpet shampoo if you have carpets...
- lots of things for the puppy to chew
- make sure all shoes, wiring, mobile phone chargers etc are not left on the floor or within reach.... (I've lost countless shoes, pairs of glasses etc )

Good luck!  Sam and Xavi                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 01:18:30 PM »
You do seem very well organised and have most things covered from what I can see. :) Have you got a Kong or treat ball ? They are good for when leaving the pup alone, something to occupy their minds.

When you say a training harness, do you mean a body harness ? I use one of these for my older dog , Jimmy, as he pulls badly on the lead. Misty's trainer though reckons they encourage lead pulling as it makes things more comfortable for them to do this and he bans us from using them. It might be a better idea to persist with collar and lead at first to train your pup not to pull ....... it didn't work for me with the pesky Jimmy but I'm having more luck with Misty. :) Another big mistake I made was using an extendable lead with Jimmy as a puppy,  second time round I've learnt from my mistakes and so far, touch wood, things are working out better.

I look forward to seeing pics of your puppy, you must be getting so excited now. ;D                    

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 06:20:15 PM »
As Colin says, you have most things covered , but one thing I ended up getting was some chew repellent, to spray on any pieces of furniture you would like to keep.  ::)  I had to get this for Alfie when he took a shine to my dining room chairs!!! Luckily it stopped the problem.                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 07:34:09 PM »
You're well organised!! Some people get on really well with those puppy training pads but some don't.  You'd be just as well to save your money and use newspaper in which case perhaps you should start collecting old ones now, you'll need 'em!!                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 03:42:26 PM »
I too agree that you are well organised.  Glad you have got a crate as they really are a good investment and your puppy will appreciate his own space ::)

Have you got the vet bed type fleecy stuff to line it with I wonder ???  I only ask as it is excellent when they come in from the rain - the moisture is drawn underneath so they are not lying on damp bedding ;D It is also easy to wash and dries quickly and lasts for ages.  

I agree with Colin about the harness - not a good idea.  ;)
Look forward to seeing your puppy's photo soon. ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 05:01:49 PM »
Thanks everyone - I shall take all of your suggestions on board. I'll start stockpiling newspaper now, joy!
I do have a piece of vet bedding for inside the crate, with a supposed one way liner.

I'll take the harness back then, my pet shop is really friendly so they won't mind.

Thanks!

Shona                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 07:05:22 PM »
Hi Shona
You are well prepared - isn't it great fun though.  You could (and I do ;D) get really carried away in these big pet superstores.  I agree with collecting the newspapers now - you'll need plenty.
Also, don't know what type of vetbed you have but you can buy them now with non-slipp backing - I say this because the type that I had for Morgan usually ended up all bunched up at one end of the crate by the morning.
Like everyone else I want to see pictures asap  :D

P.S.  Tried the puppy pads and didn't have much success - still have a pack in the cupboard  :)  Different methods work for different people though.  ;)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 03:36:45 PM »
Thanks, I'm dreadful in pet shops!

Yesterday I went in and bought a Kong for my pup, and it was my neighbours dogs birthday - he got pigs ears and a huge kong pull toy. I spent over £30 on a few bits!  ::)

I don't know if my vet bed stuff is non slip, I'll try it and see then maybe get some non slip stuff - It will get plenty of use so having 2 may not be a bad thing. I also got a coat king this morning, I know I won't need it for ages, but wanted to be organised.

I now have loads of toys and will stop! Three weeks today till he comes home, and I can't wait.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 03:46:27 PM »
This is our baby! He's far right, being squashed by his sister!

I'm delighted I managed to post this, it only took an hour, lol!                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 03:50:03 PM »
And here's one of his mum, I think she's beautiful.                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 04:40:19 PM »
Awww your pup is gorgeous,    :D  and mum is beautiful.  ;D I think he,s going to be very spoilt!!! ;)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 08:59:55 PM »
They are gorgeous :-* My favourite colour ;D
Sure You will have great fun. Sounds like He will be spoiled ;)
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2003, 11:32:54 PM »
Awww how sweet :)  No wonder you can't wait!  Mum is beautiful too ;D

Emma and Indie                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Buying for our puppy
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 08:29:05 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm sure he will be very spoilt - my three kids (15,9, and 8) are counting the days, as am I!

It's just so exciting - we have waited 2 years for him, it's like being pregnant!

Shona ;D ;D