Author Topic: Boys v girls  (Read 5015 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« on: November 05, 2003, 08:47:26 AM »
Those of you regulars to COL will know that I am in the process of getting our first puppy.  We have our names down on waiting lists with a number of breeders for a golden bitch (which I've discovered are remarkably hard to come by!).  We were pretty incistent at first that we wanted a bitch - mainly because we'd heard they had a nicer temperament.  However, on speaking to more and more owners, and sourcing stuff on the internet, it seems the same can be said about boys.  Please could anyone advise whether there is a difference in temperament between boys and girls, and whether you would recommend one or the other as a good family pet with children.  Or is there no difference?
Thanks for your help ;D ;D ;D!                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 09:34:16 AM »
Hi

I too had this dilemma, I was getting a boy at first, as like you I had researched on the net, and found that as long as you keep them "innocent" boys will be just as good a temperament than girls, I even read somewhere that boys infact have better temperaments, as they don't suffer the hormone thing as much as girls ::)  Although I don't know how true this is.  Anyway the only reason we ended up getting a girl, is because after visiting a breeder I got a very bad allergic reaction on the way home ???  To say I was mortified was an understatement as I had set my heart on one of these lovely dogs :-  SO back on the net I went and came across a couple of research studies that revealed that bitches give off less dander than males!  Therefore they suggested that if there was an allergy issue bitches would probably give less of a reaction to the person with the allergy than a male would :)  Yes I know BIZARRE but its worked so far ;D (touches wood)

If I had the choice again and didn't have an allergy I would have no hesitation in getting a boy :)  Or girl for that matter, dohh I would get both ;) ;D

Hope this helps!

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Boys v girls
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 10:00:14 AM »
This subject has cropped up on the forum a few times before- here's a link to one thread :http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=1858 There are some more somewhere but I haven't found them yet ;)                    
Jane

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Boys v girls
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 10:01:27 AM »
Interested to read Emma's comments about bitches giving off less dander :o

I have bitches as I am a breeder but my parents always had cocker boys and they were every bit as loving and faithful as bitches.  The dogs will always be slightly bigger than the bitches so that might be a consideration.

I would go for what feels right!

;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 10:49:56 AM »
Interested to read Emma's comments about bitches giving off less dander :o

Hi Linda  :)

Yep I was shocked too, I had never heard of this before ::)  I will see if I can find it for you for you to have a read, and for anyone else :)  Its quite interesting :D  I had aldready had my name down for a boy with one of our members ;D  But I had to do a u-turn and opt for a girl, after reading the article :o  

As Linda says go with what you feel, you will know when you see a litter, there just seems to be a thing between you and the pup, thats best for you ;D

Keep us informed ;)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 11:01:45 AM »
Thanks Emma

The litters are due next week, so hopefully the waiting will soon be over!

I will certainly let you all know how we get on!

Phil.                    
All the best
Phil

Offline gerry

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 12:48:41 PM »
Phil

We also had the boy/girl dilemma before getting Rigsby.  When researching the differences the ones we came across were that boys are a little slower than girls to be house trained (typical!) - although our boy Rigsby was very quick, and that boys are more loyal to their owners - he does stick to me like glue.  Don't know how true either of these are, in the end we chose a boy 'cos we already had a name lined up!

When you see the litter you may prefer the look of one to another regardless of sex, whatever you chose will be great!                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Boys v girls
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 03:49:09 PM »
When researching the differences the ones we came across were that boys are a little slower than girls to be house trained

I thought it was supposed to be the other way round .  ??? Maybe it's swings and roundabouts and more down to the individual dog/bitch, although I did find Jimmy to be a dream to housetrain whereas Misty has been a real nightmare. ::) She is approaching 6 months old but will still occassionally squat to do a wee inside and has never given me an indication that she needs out, I still have to second guess her. Jimmy on the other hand only ever soiled carpets etc on a couple of occassions....... Misty had managed to beat him within a couple of hours of bringing her home. ;D ::)

In my opinion (and limited experience) there isn't much difference between dog or bitch other than the inconvenience of bitches seasons. Good luck in your search. :)                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 12:58:51 AM »

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Boys v girls
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 09:12:15 AM »
I prefer girls, so much more homely

Misty hasn't got round to doing the dishes and making soft furnishings yet, at the moment I'd settle for her learning not to wee on the carpet. ;D                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 06:41:48 PM »

I will see if I can find it for you for you to have a read, and for anyone else :)  Its quite interesting :D  I had aldready had my name down for a boy with one of our members ;D  But I had to do a u-turn and opt for a girl, after reading the article

Hi Emma,
Only just logged on and saw your comments - hope you can find the article as it sounds amazing! :D                    
Linda
xx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 06:44:47 PM »
Hi Linda

I will look for it I did have it in my favourites but deleted a lot of stuff from there about 3 weeks ago grrrrrr ::)  Now I know why I like to hoard ;)  You always want sommat once you chucked it :-  It might take me a few days cos I am fighting with three other ppl for the pc at the weekends ::)  

Get back to you :D

Emma and Indie                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
Boys v girls
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 07:30:23 PM »
Hi Emma,
That sounds just like me  :D I try to be so organised and yet can never find anything when I want it.  You can bet your life you need something as soon as you throw it away too!! :D                    
Linda
xx

Offline PennyB

Boys v girls
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 11:02:07 PM »
Interestingly, the breeder of my cockers (for the past 20 years) said that the bitches are bossier and dogs are more laid back and he was right about my 2: Ruby is a real bossy boots and Wilf is like a gentle old man sometimes (even though he's only 5 months old).

I had a dilemma when I wanted a second dog as I'd always been brought up with bitches. However, as Ruby was so confident and bossy I felt that to have 2 bossy bitches in the house would be a little too much (especially as Wilf's other 8 siblings were all very confident dogs).

I prefer girls so much more homely:)not as bossy :-* plus u can bred a litter get interested in cockers :)

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Boys v girls
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 11:28:11 PM »
I've found the same Penny - the girls rule the roost in our house & Arran is very much bottom of the heap ;) It seems to be the case for most owners who have dogs & bitches - and quite right too ;D                    
Jane