Author Topic: Am I mad  (Read 8287 times)

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Am I mad
« on: November 11, 2003, 06:35:46 PM »
At the moment we have a friends collie staying with us ( a bitch), the 3 boys have been WONDERFUL with her sharing everything toys, bedding and even thier DAD. ;D It's got me thinking that maybe after Xmas would be a nice time for a little girl . Hubbie seems to have taken very nicely to the idea of a little girl. LAST ONE PROMISE :-X                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Am I mad
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 06:45:31 PM »
If all your boys have been neutered then I don't see any problem with adding a girl to your household, but if any of your boys are entire then it is a recipe for disaster  :'(

Dessie                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Am I mad
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 08:02:41 PM »
No, only one of the boys has been done, the other 2 are entire as we show them. We will have the facilities to keep them all seperate when she is in season                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Am I mad
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 08:25:22 PM »
I'm sure others that have Dogs and Bitches could advise more on this but from experience gained through friends even keeping them separate in a household can be very trying, and not to mention the boys loosing weight, some can loose coat etc etc.  

A close friend of mine kept a dog - she had 3 bitches and then this boy and had nothing but problems.  He was ok until they were on the right day and then boy was he a pain  ???  Crying all the time, guarding the bitch, not eating then as things progressed he would get hysterical ...

I don't mean to be so negative but it can be a lot of stress for all concerned - Bitch, Dog and owners.  Worth some serious thought.  Unless you kennel the boys.

Dessie                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Am I mad
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 09:31:04 PM »
reminds me of the film "there's something about Mary" - I can just imagine your 3 boys all doing their best t impress this girlie, trying to outwit each other  ;D  ;)

I agree with Dessie though - unless there would be somewhere for them / her to go during her first season (you'd have to hope and prey she didn't have a silent one!!!!  :o) and then you have her neutered?  ???  :'(                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Am I mad
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 10:52:13 PM »
Most males get on with bitches, largely because the bitch is usually very much in charge.  My boys are so much bigger than my parent's bitch - but she rules the roast with them and is younger than them.  The normally very forward Pip waits his turn for cuddles when she is around.  Fletch, totally toy obsessed, won't even go and get his ball off her (she takes it from him and keeps it)!  To a human she is a bit of a wimp at times, to male cockers she is obviously Maggie Thatcher  ;D  (Only Fletch is entire, Molly and Pip are not).

However - two entire males, kept separate from an entire female during her season within the same household, can really fall out and stay falling out.  If you want a bitch puppy, you really have to consider very carefully how you will work the relationships between all your dogs when she is in season. It's not something to be considered just because your boys get on with a bitch - if you want an entire female and two entire dogs, it is a 'living' choice in the sense of what do you do every 6 ish months.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Am I mad
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 11:41:35 PM »
As Hel says, dogs & bitches do tend to get on very well together but don't underestimate how difficult things can sometimes be when you have entire males and a bitch in season living in the same home ;) We are fortunate to have the facilities & enough land so I can exercise bitches in season in a different area to our boy, but he always knows & will sometimes howl, go off his food, lose weight (not necessarily a bad thing as he is inclined to be a bit tubby ;D) for a while. With 2 entire dogs, you can definitely get a competitive thing happening when one of "their" bitches is in season which can lead to tensions & squabbling - something you do need to think about as has already been said. Not trying to put you off, honest but you do need to be aware of what can happen :)                    
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Am I mad
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 07:58:19 AM »
What are you like Susan ::) ;D I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread cos I was hoping to add a little girl to my clan of boys(2 neutered, 1 entire) late next year :-                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Am I mad
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 09:43:17 AM »
Out of interest Susan and Gill why are you thinking of adding girls and not getting another boy ??

I'm hoping to get a new member of the family in a year or two but I will be getting another boy.

Dessie :D                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Am I mad
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 06:44:13 PM »
Out of interest Susan and Gill why are you thinking of adding girls and not getting another boy ??

Well, for me, I'm hoping that she will be my foundation bitch but the luck I've had with picking pups, I'm not gonna hold my breath ;) But like I said earlier, it'll be useful to hear other peoples opinions/experiences on the matter. Neutering Dallas isn't an option due to whats happened with Vegas, so I may decide it's not suitable to take in a bitch in which case I'd be more than happy to have another boy.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Am I mad
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 07:12:04 PM »
I'm sure if you went to the right breeder they would guide you into the best Bitch to have as a Foundation Bitch.  If I ever went down the route of adding a girl which I have thought about  ;) I think I would set up a kennel so they could sleep out and not be around the girls.

JMT

Dessie :D :D                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Am I mad
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2003, 10:25:16 PM »
If I ever went down the route of adding a girl which I have thought about  ;) I think I would set up a kennel so they could sleep out and not be around the girls.

They still always know though - there is no fooling these males ;D                    
Jane

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Am I mad
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2003, 11:06:44 PM »
It's interesting reading this thread, as I have been thinking that I would like to get a bitch in a while. Would I have the same sort of problems with Alfie?  (He's entire as I show him) I don't have outside kennels but would be able to separate him when she came into season.
Lou  :)                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Am I mad
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2003, 07:31:51 AM »
If I ever went down the route of adding a girl which I have thought about  ;) I think I would set up a kennel so they could sleep out and not be around the girls.

They still always know though - there is no fooling these males ;D

Very true Jane ;D My 2 boys are kennelled away from our house but they still know when there is an interesting girl in the house ;)
Fortunately they get on really well so there is no rivalry.
Doesn`t stop the wittering and whining tho, and keeping weight on them both is difficult ???
I am always really pleased when their seasons have finished, so things can settle down again :)
Fortunately it`s only every 8-12 months between seasons.
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Am I mad
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2003, 11:20:10 AM »
Totally correct Jane and Tracey boys will always no that there is a bitch in season but you don't you think it is easier having kennels where they are separate ??

Keeping entire dogs and bitches in a household would be very difficult and I don't think fair on the dogs.

Dessie                    

Derrindee Spaniels