Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 4544 times)

Offline english.springer

• Site Member
    • http://www.cropsafe.co.uk
Holidays
« on: December 03, 2003, 11:14:59 PM »
Just a quick question for you all.......do you take your dog/s on holiday with you?

Our dogs have always come on holiday with us but then again it could be we go on holiday with them!

Hey this could be the start of a new part to the forum dog friendly place to go on holiday to!!!!! :D  :wink:

Ian                    
Good birds on the day are only as good as the dogs that put them there!.........If it\'s still moving send the dog!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Holidays
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 08:44:30 AM »
Well if you count coming over to the UK for a Dog Show a holiday - Douglas has lots !!!

Might bring the three of them over next year as other half said he wouldn't mind coming over if he could go off and do something whilst I was Showing  :wink:   :wink:

Guernsey is a great place to bring your dogs, only problem is though you have to come by Boat !!!                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Holidays
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 05:48:54 PM »
Hi Ian

It all depends how you holiday!!  We normally go to Cornwall every year to a nice site (static caravan) that has loads of stuff for the kids.  However this year, we holidayed the week before we got Indie she is 7 months now, and the by the time end of July came we were all ready for another holiday, it seemed a bit of a headache as she was soo young we were concerned about her doing any damage to the beautiful caravans we normally stayed in :oops:   So we bit the bullet and went back to nature and bought a large tent  :D   I have to say the first outing was a slight disaster, (theres a post somewhere) but after that it was GREAT, we loved it, kids loved it and Indie just revelled in it 8)

A lot of the camp sites seem to be very dog friendly  :)  Apart from the initial layout for the equipment, its dirt cheap to camp.  We plan to take an electric pack next year so we can take the tv/video :lol:   Good luck with the holidaying :wink:

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Holidays
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 06:11:03 PM »
We have with and without holidays although after this year's experience with the kennels we are seriously thinking of getting them through the PETS process and taking them with us next year for the big hol.

Our with holidays are usually in Arran - we all love it and the beaches are fab for the boys.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Holidays
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 06:53:58 PM »
I put Holly in kennels and take Chloe because kennels won't take her.  We had a caravan that we used all the time with Chloe and it was great fun.  I put a caravan on my Xmas list.  Santa can leave it on the driveway :lol:                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Holidays
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 12:39:25 AM »
Hi,
We have always been tent campers and have been almost everywhere in Britain from Cornwall (where did you go Emma?) to Skye. When it's not too hot we take our rabbits with us and get into really amusing conversations!!
This summer we were fostering a friend's cocker and she came to Cornwall with us (Bossinney). She came on heat and got really crabby about anything or anyone near her back end. Eventually, we ended up with us three in one bedroom, a friend and her child in another and Susie having a room to herself!
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Holidays
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 12:23:15 PM »
Hi,
We have always been tent campers and have been almost everywhere in Britain from Cornwall (where did you go Emma?)

Hi Mary we normally stay in Mullion, which is about 4 miles from The Lizard in Cornwall!!  We haven't been brave enough yet to venture that far with the tent, we camped at Grassington, N Yorks and Slingsby N Yorks.  The atmosphere you get at the sites is fantastic, nothing like I have expereienced before in the commercial caravan parks we have been to :?   We are planning to do Cornwall in the tent this year, but we need to change our car first, we have a Mondeo at the moment which is just not big enough to fit the everything in :(   We plan to go away for weekends too, we did get the bug :)  But we not experienced the rain yet :?

Where abouts are you going this year Mary and where abouts do you live?

Emma and Indie                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Holidays
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 12:27:39 PM »
We are quite lucky the year we got Billy a friend of my husband decided to give up caravanning so sold us his unit for a bargain price, it fairly old but warm and dry and we can cook etc and Billy loves it :D , we generally use CC club site as they are always well kept and dogs are welcome.

Earlier this year though we did have two weeks in Corfu and Billy went into kennels, we loved being in the sun but did find us saying things like "Billy would love this beach/walk etc"  :( .

Ideal holiday the weather would be warm, beaches uncrowded and dogs and children welcome.

Michelle                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Holidays
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 01:41:46 PM »
We had a house in South Wales we used for the last 5 years to escape from London with the dogs for various weekends and weeks in the summer. Sadly that was sold earlier in the year and we havent been anywhere since. I'm not averse to leaving the dogs with family though for a week or two, if we fancy a week away in a sunny climate... in fact it sounds very attractive right at the moment  :mrgreen: and maybe going somewhere in the UK in the summer with dogs in tow sounds equally appealing!                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Holidays
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 01:56:56 PM »
I must be one of the few people who has never flown :oops:   I have been to Calais when I was 14, by ferry though NEVER AGAIN :shock:   There are places I would love to visit not the normal package holiday places, I would love to go to Canada and have always fancied holidaying on Lake Garda, Austria/Switzerland :)   I don't think I will ever have the bottle to go though, which is a shame :roll:  One day maybe, I will bite the bullet and go for it :)

Some little hideaway on a lovely hot island sounds very appealing at the moment, to avoid all the stresses of Christmas shopping :wink:   I love Christmas but as I am a disorganised person the preperarion part is such a hassle :?   Anyone fancy organising my Christmas for me???  Hmmmmm what a good business idea!!  Don't mind spending someone elses money :wink:

Emma and Indie                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Holidays
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 03:16:32 PM »
Emma,

I used to be hate flying, but my husband loves it I MEAN LOVES IT he is like a big kid wanting to get to the airport hours before to watch the planes etc.......... :lol:  the bug is catching and now my daughter is the same so I just get carried along with the excitement and it is usually only as I am fastining my seat belt that I realise how nervous I am, I have even managed to fly to the states which took 9 hours........ and the destinations usually make up for any discomfort getting there.

Michelle                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Holidays
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 03:33:59 PM »
I must be one of the few people who has never flown :oops:   I have been to Calais when I was 14, by ferry though NEVER AGAIN :shock:   There are places I would love to visit not the normal package holiday places, I would love to go to Canada and have always fancied holidaying on Lake Garda, Austria/Switzerland :)   I don't think I will ever have the bottle to go though, which is a shame :roll:  One day maybe, I will bite the bullet and go for it :)

Some little hideaway on a lovely hot island sounds very appealing at the moment, to avoid all the stresses of Christmas shopping :wink:   I love Christmas but as I am a disorganised person the preperarion part is such a hassle :?   Anyone fancy organising my Christmas for me???  Hmmmmm what a good business idea!!  Don't mind spending someone elses money :wink:

Emma and Indie

Emma

I also hate flying but I managed it to Austrailia so if I can do it you can too!  (Don't tell anyone I had to take 2 tranquillisers though to get me through it!  :wink: )  If you start with a short journey and gradually work your way up in terms of flight times you should be okay.

Next year I'm thinking of holidaying in the UK.  There's so much I haven't seen of this country and besides I missed my girls so much when I was away I don't think I could leave them again.  It would have to be a dog friendly hotel for me.  No camping or caravanning for me I'm afraid!                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline markjcage

• Site Member
Holidays
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 05:06:55 PM »
We went to Devon this August.
Had a great time as the beach nearby is huge, sandy and very empty.
We stayed at this place:
http://www.lobbfields.com/

Fairly basic, but dog friendly and unpretentious.
Also very near the beach.
Definately recommend it.                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Holidays
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2003, 01:06:49 AM »
The atmosphere you get at the sites is fantastic, nothing like I have expereienced before in the commercial caravan parks we have been to :?   We are planning to do Cornwall in the tent this year,  

But we not experienced the rain yet :?

Where abouts are you going this year Mary and where abouts do you live?

Emma and Indie

Hi Emma,
I agree that the atmophere is much better at tent camp sites, but we always try for small family run sites if possible without the amusement arcades etc.
We love North Cornwall for the beaches, sea and walks - where rain is a possibility!!! My tip: take some woven cloth mats - the type you get in IKEA amongst other places. Most camp sites have a laundry, so they can be washed and dried if needs be. Place them around the floor in the communal area of the tent esp by the door. All shoes and paws can be wiped, AND ALL SHOES REMOVED before continuing in esp. to bedrooms. Keeping at least the sleeping areas bone dry is paramount to everyone's happiness!
I live in London, Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Holidays
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 04:04:19 PM »
We take the dogs to a great place in Ruthin north wales, only 5 minutes from Loggerheads country Park. (Dont know if we can advertise the name of the hotel  can someone let me know if I can post if please). Its a motel type in, but they have two apertments and a cottage, that they will accept dogs in.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang