Author Topic: Baby sitting a puppy  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Phil

• Site Member
Baby sitting a puppy
« on: December 05, 2003, 03:53:24 PM »
hi,

We're still looking for a puppy. Off to see some more tonight but again these haven't been eye tested so I remain sceptical.

Anyway, as part of our on-going research into puppy ownership I thought I'd ask about babysitting puppies and associated problems.

Our situation is that we both work full time. If we were going to leave the dog alone all day then there's no way we would even consider getting a dog. However, my girlfriend's parents live not far from where she works and have volunteered to look after the dog during the day. They are retired and already have dog so the two dogs will be good company for each other. We have explained about the responsibilities of puppy ownership and have talked about common training routines.

My question is, what are the associated problems with taking a puppy to a different home everyday?

I think my 'in-laws' are fully aware of what to expect with a puppy having had dogs for thirty odd years. They are almost as excited about the prospect as us. However we still have concerns of taking a puppy to a different place each day. This is obviously not a decision to be taken lightly and having newly discovered this forum, any helpful advise would be most welcome.

Phil.                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Baby sitting a puppy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 05:01:34 PM »
Hi Phil

There are people who belong to this forum who are far more experienced than I am and so could therefore advise you better.  However the first thing that struck me when I was reading your post was that you would have to ensure that you all did the same thing as regards training so as not to confuse your new pup. i.e. can he/she got on furniture? is he/she allowed upstairs?  I guess I mean that you'd have to be very consistent.  Also you'd have to make sure that you were all using the same commands.  

I'm sure there are others who can add to this or indeed explain it better than me!

Loraine.                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Phil

• Site Member
Baby sitting a puppy
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 05:16:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply Loraine,

Yes, we've talked about coming up with a common training routine as we put it. This includes a written list of commands to use. This maybe confusing with their existing dog, except that he doesn't obey many commands anyway! We were going to crate train it so again I think its going to be written instructions all round about what to do.

Just had a phone call saying that there's a breeder with a puppy available now! We're going to have a look tomorrow but we weren't really geared up with having one this side of Christmas. But its parents are eye-tested and its one of our preferred colours. Cripes!

Phil.                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Baby sitting a puppy
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 05:46:15 PM »
:) ohhh sounds promising Phil, I hope this is the one for you, sometimes things are meant to be, when you are not expecting, it just falls right into your lap :o   Well hope this pup is was you are looking for.  I am sure if this is the pup for you the breeder may be willing to keep hold for a few days until you get all your bits and pieces together :D

Good luck, let us know the outcome!

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Baby sitting a puppy
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 11:32:16 PM »
I think apart from the things that Loraine has mentioned, this could work for you and its good that your tackling this issue in a sensible manner before getting your puppy as some  breeders may not be happy to home a puppy to people who work fulltime without some kind of alternative care.
I have no firsthand experience of doing this but my husbands uncle did this with his dog for 12 years and he didn't have any problems whatsoever  :)

Good Luck

Gilly