Author Topic: Walk length  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Woolwitch

Walk length
« on: May 02, 2021, 05:12:17 PM »
Hi. We have a very energetic (goes without saying) 4 year old working cocker. He gets two walks a day, about an hour/an hour and a half off lead, and most weekends we do a long walk of around 12 miles with him. I want to ask what people think is the maximum length walk for a working cocker - we are planning a 25 miler in the summer as a challenge for us and we don't want to take him if it will be too much. To be honest he probably covers around 25 miles on our 12 mile walks as he races around so much, so we thought he could manage the long walk if we kept him on the lead for some of it so he could pace himself. What have other people's experiences been with long walks please?

Thank you :)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Walk length
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 06:33:22 AM »
Hi! Ours has done 25 miles although he‘s show line and, for a cocker, isn‘t wildly energetic. There was a thread on here a couple of years back from someone who did a week long hike with his cocker to raise money for a spaniel charity. As long as they‘re fit, have ample opportunity to stop and rest now and again and have enough to drink I don’t foresee a problem. My dog doesn‘t like the heat much either so obviously I wouldn‘t do it on a hot summer day.
With regard to the lead, I actually find it more tiring for me and Humphrey as he‘s used to being off lead most if the time anyway, I found that while he races back and forth for the first few miles, he starts to pace himself at some point automatically.
He‘ll probably zonk out in the evening  ;) but provided he‘s fit, it won‘t do him any harm.
Enjoy your walk!

Offline Woolwitch

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
Thanks BizzyLizzy - that's reassuring to hear. Our dog is really fit and used to long walks, and my initial thought was that he would be fine, but it's good to hear others' views. I agree about the heat - our dog would not like that either - and having plenty of rests is good advice. We have both done walking marathons before (without rests), so doing a walk of this length at a more relaxed pace and with plenty of rests will be a nice change :)

Your point about the lead is interesting - I know I find it tiring having our dog on it, but I hadn't thought that he might feel the same, so I'll bear it in mind.

Thank you again - sound advice  :003:

Offline theshrew

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 03:33:44 AM »
I don't know tbh. 25 miles is a bloody long way for anyone.

.if you're dog is anything like mine they will be doing 50 miles for your 25. I'm sure they would do it but build up to it just as you would if you were running it yourself.

Offline Woolwitch

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 03:46:02 PM »
Yes, thank you we will. We do long walks every week anyway so the hound is pretty used to it  :D