Author Topic: Worsening of problems  (Read 2110 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Worsening of problems
« on: August 27, 2023, 04:12:14 PM »
Hi.  Benji will be 9 in a few weeks and is getting more and more on edge.  His separation anxiety has escalated to the point where he’s been constantly barking whilst she’s been out and her neighbours have complained.  He’s on some heavy medication as he has IVDD, also on YuMove Calm and I’m wondering if this is having an impact or if it’s old age seeping in.  We’ve noticed he’s got even more greedier too.

I’m now needing to find a person to look after just Benji when we’re next away and my other dog will go back to the usual boarder.  It’s such a shame.  I feel sad that he’s so stressed. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Worsening of problem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 07:16:33 PM »
Hi!!
Can’t remember what medication you said Benji was on but when Humphrey was on Gabapentin for a short while after his op he was so anxious and stressed, we had to take him off it and the change was immediate. Might be worth having a look at the listed possible side effects of the medication?
Humphrey is definately not as confident as he was before his surgery and I know Benji’s mobility is even more limited than Humphrey’s, so I think its quite possible that it could be related to the anxiety, Have you mentioned it to the vet?
I have tried lately to get back to a similar routine to what we had before the op and try to get him to learn something new, -even if its walking round a pole, or walking backwards or learning the name of a toy, anything just to give him a bit of confidence back. Not quite sure whether its for his or my benefit really  :005: and its probably wishful thinking but if I can stop myself giving up on him (which I did start to do) and give us a goal to work towards, however insignificant and simple, it might  just stop him giving up on himself. No idea if dogs think like that  :005: but who knows?  I‘ll try anything!:lol2:
As far as the greed is concerned, I think that‘s maybe just cocker (although it‘ll be interesting to hear what others think ) Humphrey‘s insatiable and is constantly on the look out for anything edible, I‘m anxious he doesn’t gain too much weight because of his back but its a constant battle of wills  :huh:
Can’t offer any constructive advice I‘m afraid but just wanted to give the heads up, do hope someone else on here might be able to suggest something more helpful..
In the meantime, hugs to Benji. I‘ll be interested to hear how you /he gets on with the buggy.
Xx Jayne and Humph‘

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Re: Worsening of problems
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 08:06:26 PM »
Hi
Thanks for replying and hope Humphrey’s his usual happy self!  Will make an appointment with his vet.  It feels like if its not one thing it’s another!  I may have to look at a house sitter for both.  Not keen as will have to clean the house before we go on a holiday!!  Will let you know how the buggy situation progresses.
Hugs to Humph. Hx