Author Topic: mia's first flyball training session.  (Read 802 times)

Offline miajemima

mia's first flyball training session.
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:24:09 PM »
me and my OH took Mia along to her first flyball training today, she was brill at jumping the hurdles and coming back to me with the ball and was very speedy, but she lost interest when when she had to take the ball from the ramp as we had taken sausages as treats, (big mistake) :doh:  as that was all she wanted. she had ago at the springboard later on and did better. we now have to practice at home with an upturned bucket and tennis ball. we had a great time,( mia now shattered as she had a long, long walk this morning also). Can't wait to go again, but no sausages next time. ::) :D

Offline Sarah1985

Re: mia's first flyball training session.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »
 If she comes to you without the ball send her back out to get it. A few times like this and she'll realise you'll only give up the sausage if she has the ball to trade. No ball no sausage. Or was it that the sausage was too high value to the point of obbession?

Glad you enjoyed it. My two love flyball  :luv:

Offline miajemima

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
yes the sausage was too  high value, my mistake, we used to take them to puppy training which was fine at the time but now I usually use a toy or james wellbeloved mini treats.  we have practiced today with bucket and ball and she soon got the hang of it. really cant wait to go again its such good fun. :lol2:

Offline goldblend90

• Donator
  • Harley Boy looking good !!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »
We are flyball fans here, and Harley was in the starters this year, although Mayhem is "a different kettle of fish"!!

Keep going with the ball to hand scenario, as this is a great for ensuring the ball comes back to you.  With Harley I always have a second tennis ball in my hand, so when he comes back, he gets the second ball as a reward.

With Mayhem, she losses interest in the ball very quickly, and has now got fixated on only playing ball with me, so at training session now, everyone else has to play ball with her!!  Although her run backs are really fast, its just the bit in the middle that I have to work on.