Author Topic: night time woe  (Read 5355 times)

Offline daw

Re: night time woe
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »
It sounds as though he is really anxious- if he's shaking he is scared for real. I couldn't leave him like that and I do think you should sleep downstairs with him till he matures and gets over the night terrors. As you build up his trust and confidence in you he'll find his way but he's such a baby and maybe a bit behind developmentally. Poor little Blue. :'(

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
Already doing all the positive reward stuff suggested, and ignoring any unwanted behaviour.  I tried to ignore his night time hullabaloo for the first few nights, but it's just not possible.  He gets really distressed, and that distresses me - he is definitely 'scared for real', and feels abandoned. 
Husband doesn't want the dog upstairs, so I will move myself downstairs and sleep next to his crate until we have resolved this.  There is a limit to how long I can continue to function on 3 hours of broken sleep per night, and I am approaching it fast!
We can start going out for proper walks from tomorrow too.
Thanks for the advice everyone..

Offline daw

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 11:25:10 PM »
You sound at the end of your tether! And you're coping alone which is really hard- it's not spite that makes the rescue I homecheck for withhold dogs unless everyone in the house wants one. A new dog can send things haywire and that's even when everyone is on board.

Two things: don't think it will always be like this. You have a traumatised puppy who is having problems adjusting. We've always had ours to sleep with us for the first few weeks. And that often meant snuggled up to us. It's not spoiling, it's doing what a puppy needs. If you can do this on your own you'll get more sleep- they can sleep for hours on end once they feel warm and safe. As the puppy grows and feels you are his new pack you can let him detach himself gradually from you as he will want to do. But secondly if the tensions and disruptions of a dog only one of you wants is too much there's no disgrace in asking his breeder to take him back - or if they won't, a spaniel rescue to find him a forever home. Spaniel puppies fly off the rescue shelves to people desperate for them. Only you can know what works for you. :-\

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
As the person who agreed to get a dog, rather than wanting one, there were many times in the early weeks when I would have sent Henry back in a heartbeat. And my husband, who had wanted a dog for years, felt very guilty about how the pup took over our lives as well as being a bit shell shocked himself at at amount of work - and by the exhaustion. Two weeks is still VERY early days. If Blueberry can find a way for both her and the pup to get a few good nights' sleep, things will begin to feel much better.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
Last night, I slept downstairs, next to the pen, on an inflatable mattress.  Not the comfiest night ever, but Blue had a fantastic night!  He woke sometime in the small hours, checked I was there and went straight back to sleep.  Then as dawn broke, he woke up and played quietly with his toys whilst I continued to doze.  He seems really content this morning, and we've just been out for our first proper walk too!
I'll continue sleeping downstairs for as long as necessary, and I feel loads better for having had some sleep.
I should explain a bit about my husband's attitude.  He was bitten when he was a child, and it put him off dogs for life.  He's never associated with anyone who had a dog, and has avoided them all his adult life.  He wasn't keen to have one at all, and I've been begging for one for years.  I've now retired and have the time to devote to a pup, so he finally agreed.  In terms of him and the dog, it's actually gone much better than I ever thought.  What began as reluctant 'tolerance' has given way to amusement and affection.  He has quietly formed a relationship with Blue, and Blue adores him.  And he's seen how happy having Blue has made me, so I feel sure things will continue to improve slowly.  (Who could resist the charms of a Cocker?)
Rehoming or returning Blue was never a consideration, a dog is for life, warts and all. 

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
Great news you and Blue had a good night! Fingers crossed for many more to come.  It sounds as though at the moment he just needs that reassurance that you are there with him.  Just give him time as already has been said, things do get better!  Hope you enjoyed your first walk :D
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »
Great news that you both had a good night.  You must feel so much better to tackle things after getting some sleep.   Keep up the good work and I'm sure it will pay dividends.   Now you can take him out into the big wide world he may be more tired and content to sleep longer.  Good Luck.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »
So glad you had a better night. Interestingly my husband really wanted to get the dog, but is also afraid of them (I know, weird!). He's always be fully hands on with Henry but has had to overcome his fears when we encounter other dogs. As for me, well, it didn't take long for Henry to work his way into my heart, even as he was hanging off my ankles with his teeth!

Offline daw

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »
Great! All a  puppy ever wants is to be with you and if it's a spaniel puppy you can up that by 100%! I'm glad your husband has taken to him.

I shouldn't worry too much about crates etc- I think 'the technology' gets in the way of what should be a natural relationship between dogs and humans - which began when they sneaked into the cave and snuggled up! Good luck. Just because you've had a bad start doesn't mean you can't have a better future with him. Make him happy. That's what he's there for.   

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
That's fantastic  :luv:

All he wants is to belong and be part of a family, and I guess being in his position he can't understand why you keep leaving him at a scary time ie  in the dark. I'm sure as he grows up he will become more secure in himself.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »
Great! All a  puppy ever wants is to be with you and if it's a spaniel puppy you can up that by 100%!

Not every spaniel is a Velcro dog. Henry has always been a quite independent soul, taking himself off into other rooms or the garden once he's checked where everyone is and whether anyone is doing something that clearly required cocker assistance. Still greets us like we've been gone forever with a mega butt wiggle, even if it's him that left, not us.

Offline daw

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 02:46:34 PM »
No not every dog- as I said Blue will gradually detach himself. Every puppy. :blink:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
No not every dog- as I said Blue will gradually detach himself. Every puppy. :blink:

Not even every puppy. But I know Henry was unusual in this respect. Never bothered by separation, but always delighted to see us.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 03:13:27 PM »
There'll be another test this evening.  We have to leave him at home on his own for about an hour and a half.  It's the first session of puppy class, and week one is for owners only.  Husband has agreed to go along to listen to the talk, so Blue's going to be home alone - unless my neighbours will have him for us (which I strongly suspect they might  ;)).

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »
Just a thought... I heard about these "snuggle puppies" and although I've not used one before I think I would get one for any future puppies (not for a while yet :005:).  They're highly reviewed on this website and amazon, might give Blue some reassurance? 

https://www.dfordog.co.uk/snuggle-puppy.html
Emma, Pippa & Rory x