Author Topic: New owner  (Read 2657 times)

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
New owner
« on: December 16, 2003, 03:41:48 PM »
I have a beautiful 9 week old black Cocker bitch named Maggie  :D
She is a lovely little girl, so full of energy and a pleasure to own except...
she has cried and barked each night since we brought her home! Tonight will be her 7th night with us.

I can appreciate that it is difficult for her to be on her own after leaving her litter mates and she was the first to be homed.

I'm not moaning about her as I love her to bits already. I am in need of reassurance that she will settle!!

I hate hearing her so distressed but really don't want to give in and take her upstairs.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you, Sam and Maggie x                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
New owner
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 03:49:02 PM »
Hi there, I'm in the same boat I'm afraid, so not much help. We have a gorgeous orange roan boy called Indie, and he's 10 weeks old, and does the same thing. We have had him 2 weeks now, and he was fine the first few nights, but has started this now.Someone has recommended a DAP diffuser, which is supposed to help relax them, but wait and see some of the experienced posters and what they recommend. I was just about to post a similar question, so we'll see.

Welcome to the board, I'm Shona from Scotland, by the way. :lol:                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Tjarda

• Site Member
New owner
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 05:03:03 PM »
Hi

I haven't had that problem at all. The first couple of days that I had my little puppy I slept right next to her and she was in her crate. She hardly cried but when she did I reassured her and talked to her for a bit.  And after 2 days she was fine and really at ease.  A lot of people adviced me not to put her in another room, but to keep her really close on her first nights and it really worked out for her.

Tjarda                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
New owner
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 05:41:20 PM »
If it's any comfort , you are both doing better than me. I gave in to Misty's howling after about 4 nights, moving her crate into the bedroom. I had complaining neighbours to consider. :roll:

The DAP diffuser has worked for a few people, it didn't with Misty, but it might be worth trying if you are determined not to give in. People have also used the Snugglepuppy but from another thread it seems these are difficult to track down at the moment. You could try wrapping a ticking clock and a hot water bottle (not too hot, obviously) in a towel or blanket for the pup to lie on. I didn't try it myself but have seen it recommended by others...... it supposedly mimics the warmth and heartbeat of mum and littermates in the same way a Snugglepuppy does.

Other than that, it's probably a case of buying some ear plugs and sitting it out until the puppy gives in ......... easy for me to say, considering I lost this particular battle of wills. :lol:

Good luck !                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
New owner
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 12:00:22 PM »
Hi

I haven't had that problem at all. The first couple of days that I had my little puppy I slept right next to her and she was in her crate. She hardly cried but when she did I reassured her and talked to her for a bit.  And after 2 days she was fine and really at ease.  A lot of people adviced me not to put her in another room, but to keep her really close on her first nights and it really worked out for her.  

Tjarda

We slept with our pup for the first two nights, and he was fine for the first week, no howling.

He's now decided to keep us awake all night regardless, so it didn't seem to make a difference to him.                    

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
New owner
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 02:44:18 PM »
Just to say, thank you for your replies.
Maggie was so much better last night. I put a hot water bottle under her bedding and it really did the trick. She slept until 5am which was wonderful.
Sam x                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline LeeC

• Site Member
New owner
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 12:07:34 AM »
We're not much help, we gave in ages ago, they sleep wherever they like.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
New owner
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 09:21:28 AM »
We're not much help, we gave in ages ago, they sleep wherever they like.

LOL :lol:

I will be doing the same shortly I reckon!

Shona                    

Offline Snoop Doggie

• Site Member
New owner
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 01:11:53 PM »
Thanks goodness we didnt have that problem. Ours didnt cry at night from day 1 - not sure why some cry and others don't.                    

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
New owner
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 10:11:10 AM »
Well, I think we've cracked it!!  :D
When we are ready to go to bed, I put the hot water bottle under her bedding, let Maggie out to do her business, she comes back in and jumps straight into her crate.
No crying or barking now... just peace and quiet. I'm so glad we didn't give in to her, though we nearly threw the towel in more than once!!
Samantha & Maggie x                    
* KEEP SMILING *