Author Topic: Harness trouble  (Read 1682 times)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
Re: Harness trouble
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 07:14:55 PM »
I stick my hand through where Buddy is supposed to put his head and hold a treat for him.

It works everytime. He is too dim (or greedy)  to realise that going for the treat puts his harness over his head. I then just pull his legs through and do it up.

However, we have just changed to a Canac harness because of the ttouch and I am finding that a bit harder to put on.

:005: :005: :005:That was working the first couple of times, but he grew wise to it!  >:D I just shouted in a high pitched voice 'Charley biscuit'  (which always makes him come a-running) and it worked a treat! For now anyway!  :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »

Oh yes!

Are you seeing Toni? She said she had heard from some others from COL!

Sorry to hijack!

No too far away for me...i have found someone local to me  :D..we go next week
apologises for hijacking  ph34r

Offline lopey99

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 10:19:37 AM »
Cassie is exactly the same when she see's the harness she knows she's going out and she goes bonkers with excitement its a bit of a wriggle getting her in but we try to be firm and have no messing, we have one from pets at home that you put her two front paws into then it clips up round her back, dunno if it came this way or my other half fastened it like that to make it easier. Once its on shes fine (well apart from the 'hurry up and let me out' barks, when she knows she's going out nothing like treats will distract her so sooner she realises she has to sit and be good and get it on the better, we have tried ignoring her and going and sitting down if she messes about but we always give it - our fault really must be more persistant!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 06:44:22 PM »
I stick my hand through where Buddy is supposed to put his head and hold a treat for him.

It works everytime. He is too dim (or greedy)  to realise that going for the treat puts his harness over his head. I then just pull his legs through and do it up.

However, we have just changed to a Canac harness because of the ttouch and I am finding that a bit harder to put on.

:005: :005: :005:That was working the first couple of times, but he grew wise to it!  >:D I just shouted in a high pitched voice 'Charley biscuit'  (which always makes him come a-running) and it worked a treat! For now anyway!  :005:

Proof that Buddy really is very dim, or just plain greedy. :005:

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:26 PM »
have you tried using treats - if you put one hand through the hole with his fave treat you should be able to slip it over his head whilst he is munching - once he knows the harness means he gets to go for a walk he will soon cotton on and won't be quite so worried about it  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »
have you tried using treats - if you put one hand through the hole with his fave treat you should be able to slip it over his head whilst he is munching - once he knows the harness means he gets to go for a walk he will soon cotton on and won't be quite so worried about it  ;)

Yes iv tried - but yesterday wasnt too bad getting it on at all - he didnt make it easy for me (putting his head right down to the floor) - but he slowly must be realising that harness means walkies and a treat?!  ::)

REUBY DOOO!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 08:12:34 PM »
bless!  :luv: you could also try sitting him on your knee to put it on if he likes being on your lap and using treats - best of both worlds  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk